"Here," I say, reaching into my purse. I pull out two hundred-fifty dollars, and hold it out for her. "Please, buy yourself some food and water. And maybe a thicker blanket."

She shakes her head. "Oh, wow. Thank you so much, dear. But I can't take that---"

"Yes, you can!" I tell her, motioning for her to take it. I give her my kindest smile. "You need it more than I do."

Besides, that leaves me with thirteen dollars. That's enough for two baskets of fries!

"Thank you," the woman voiced her gratitude again and again. "Thank you."

"I'm Athalia," I greet, putting out my hand to shake hers. She does, and I almost pull away at how cold it is. It's spring, nearly summer, but it's also Boston. The nights get cold.

"Rose," she says. She looks at my outfit, somewhat sadly. I feel bad that all she has is a ripped t-shirt and dirty sweatpants. "Look at you, pretty girl! Where are you off to?"

Shoot, I basically forgot about meeting Levi. Although, he's probably not even there yet. Plus, the diner is only about seven minutes away. "I'm on my way to a date! Well, it's not really a date," I correct myself. "We are almost friends."

"Is it a boy?"

"Yes. I don't know how old he is, so he's probably a man, not a boy, but—"

She laughs a little. It amazes me how she can have such negativity in her life but still be able to laugh. "Be on your way, dear. Tell me all about it when you come back around here someday."

I smile. "Gladly. Have a nice night, Rose!"

☆☆☆

Well, I was right. He was, in fact, not early.

Sitting in the booth closest to the door so that he can easily find me when he walks in, I fiddle with the ends of my dress.

Maybe I'm too early. Maybe he's busy. Maybe he forgot. Maybe something came up. Maybe he meant next Sunday, or maybe I heard him wrong and he actually said Monday.

Maybe he doesn't want to be my friend.

"Athalia, you don't have a shift today," Big D sighs as he comes to the table I sit at. He pauses when he sees that I don't have an apron on. "What're ya doing sittin' here alone..." He trails off when I give him a sad look. He quickly adds, "Without a menu?"

He grabs one and sets it before me. "Thanks, Big D," I say. "I'm waiting for someone."

"Ah, that boy, eh?"

"Yep," I tell him, popping the 'p'. "Honestly, Big D, I don't know if he's going to show up. I mean, I hope he does. I want to tell someone about the lady I met today—Ooo! Do you want to hear about the lady I met today?"

It doesn't really matter what he says, because I'm going tell him either way.

He purses his lips, and I know he wants to decline, but I smile when he sits down. "I have a feeling you would tell me even if I said no."

"She's a homeless woman," I begin. "I was walking here when I nearly fell on top of her because I didn't see her sitting on the sidewalk. I gave her some money, and I think her and I might be friends, Big D! She told me to come see her again. That means she wants to talk to me again, right?"

"Right," he nods.

"Isn't that exciting?"

"Supah." (Super).