Firepaw's posture straightened. "Yes." He respectfully mewed.

Tigerclaw gave him a thoughtful look. "I shall monitor your progress with interest."

Firepaw proudly puffed out his chest as Tigerclaw padded off. "Did he like me?" He asked no cat in particular.

"Tigerclaw doesn't like any apprentices." Graypaw replied, and Spottedleaf found herself agreeing with him. Tigerclaw was a strong warrior who didn't seem to enjoy the company of any cat, though he tolerated his fellow warriors.

Ravenpaw shifted with a twitch of his ears. "Is he gone?"

"Tigerclaw?" Asked Graypaw as he trotted toward his denmate. "Yep. He just left."

"Hi." Firepaw began to introduce himself. "My name is Firepaw."

Ravenpaw fixed the new apprentice with wide, green eyes. "F-firepaw? I don't recall an apprentice by that name."

Graypaw reiterated Firepaw's history.

Ravenpaw blinked before curling back up, tucking his nose underneath his slim tail.

Spottedleaf laid her tail over Firepaw's shoulders upon noticing his crestfallen expression. "Ravenpaw is naturally shy, and skittish. He'll warm up to you eventually."

"Aw, come on, Ravenpaw! Now's not the time to sleep!" Graypaw was hopping around the black lump on his toes, fur puffed out. "You have to tell me about the battle. Did you really meet Oakheart? Was he as big as they say? Was he as great as they say?"

When Ravenpaw didn't even twitch, Graypaw prodded him with a paw. "Ravenpaw, please!"

"Have you ever seen a cat crushed by rocks?"

Spottedleaf was startled by Mossfall's sudden question, having forgotten that the medicine cat was still in her den. Her eyes were like shards of fresh ice in the darkness.

"No," Graypaw hesitantly began. "But no cat said Ravenpaw saw Oakheart die. He—"

"Have you ever heard a cat die?"

Graypaw wordlessly shook his head.

Spottedleaf suddenly felt a rush of sympathy for Ravenpaw. The skinny tom had been born nervous and seemed to fear the idea of leaving camp. He'd only received his apprentice name no more than two moons ago and had very limited knowledge of fighting. That alone was enough to forbid him from participating in the battle at Sunningrocks. Not that he would want to go. But Tigerclaw had insisted his apprentice join, claiming that it would toughen him up to see a real fight between warriors. Now, Spottedleaf realized, Ravenpaw would bear mental scars from that battle thanks to his mentor's decision.

Mossfall continued. "Then, why are you forcing him to relive such a traumatic event? For your own pleasure? If you want more details on the battle, why don't you ask Spottedleaf?"

Spottedleaf felt hot underneath the apprentices' eager stares.

"You were at the battle?! Why didn't you come back with the rest of the patrol?" Firepaw asked innocently.

"Tinyice ordered me to retreat." Meowed the tortoiseshell.

"Tinyice? You went back on his orders? Why?" Spottedleaf was taken aback by Graypaw's questions.

Spottedleaf's gaze hardened and zoned in on the gray apprentice. "Why wouldn't I? Do you think he has no right to give orders because he is not Clanborn?"

"No!" Graypaw immediately responded, eyes wide. "It's just," He seemed to be carefully selecting his words. "Tigerclaw and Redtail were there. Surely, they're in a better position to give orders? Especially orders to retreat."

Spottedleaf was about to reply before she was cut off by an impatient hiss from Mossfall. "If you three are just going to chatter like birds, do it outside my den. Can't you see that Ravenpaw is attempting to sleep?" She questioned, flicking her tail in the direction of the dark apprentice.

"Sorry, Mossfall." Apologized the trio in unison.

"Sleep well, Ravenpaw." Graypaw added quietly. He slipped out of the den with Firepaw and Spottedleaf following suit.