Overworked, Overstressed

Start from the beginning

"Well, Geeta, you tell me. I'm working two jobs right now from early in the morning to late at night, just so I can pay my bills and not starve. I have to go to interviews, conduct interviews, attend meetings that I have no interest in, I'm working over time since Monday, and of course my bus is late. Can you blame me for doing something to try and relieve my stress?" I ranted. It felt kinda good, finally releasing a bit of this pressure.

"No, I don't feel justified criticizing you." Geeta said, placing her palm on my back.

"I work like a dog, yet I still have to pinch my budget!" I rubbed my forehead, letting it all out. "If I want to buy a luxury or something, it takes me so long to save up, and why should I even try? I won't have the time to enjoy it anyways. And I feel alienated from my friends because I spent so much time working I can barely hang out with them."

Geeta listened quietly, before saying "My condolences, Rika, I never knew that."

"And now-" I continued, as I have more to spare, "I'm a tobacco addict! When I was a little girl, I was taught smoking is bad, and I told myself I won't smoke, but look at me now. At this rate I'll get lung cancer before I'm out of my twenties." I flicked my cigarette onto the ground with disgust, watching it smolder on the sidewalk.

"If I knew being an Elite Four would entail all of this, I wouldn't have accepted that damn invitation in the first place!" I spat with venom. Immediately a sense of regret and shame creeped down my back. I turned to look at Geeta. I could see shock, but also sadness in her eyes. "S-sorry, I didn't really mean to say that..."

"It's... it's alright, Rika." Geeta finally replied. "I guess I'm at fault here too. As your superior I should've taken notice that work is taking a toll on you. So, I'm sorry about that."

"Nah it's alright. Guess we are both idiots then eh?" I poked, causing Geeta to chuckle.

"Don't test your luck girl, or I'll have you working on the weekends too." Geeta replied, though her tone made it obvious she was joking.

"So, what now? I mean, we can't let this keep going on forever." I asked.

"Well, I'll certainly see what I can do." Geeta said. "Maybe I can arrange for a raise to you all, and maybe add paid vacations to the benefits plan, you guys deserve it for all your hard work. No promises though."

"There's a catch, isn't there?" I asked.

"I want you to quit smoking." Geeta replied matter of factly. 

Well ok, what was I expecting? "I knew it." I said with a slight chuckle. "Granted the reason why I smoke in the first place is because of working too much, I can certainly try to quite. You got yourself a deal, La Primera." To prove I'm being serious, I chucked my box of cigarettes into the nearby garbage bin. I swear I could feel the pride in Geeta's smile.

We then sat together underneath the dim light of a nearby lamppost, the only sounds coming from the occasional wild Pokemon. After a few minutes, I was alerted to a different sound. 

"Ah, looks like my bus is here." I noted as the city bus pulled up and opened its doors. "Well, I'll be seeing you, Geeta."

To my surprise, Geeta instead joined me on the bus.

"Don't you own a car?" I asked as we took our seats.

"I do, but it's been a while since I took a bus home." she said nonchalantly. "Besides, I figured you can use someone to talk to one the way home."

I shook my head as I let out a hearty laugh. "You can really be both the most insufferable and most amazing boss in the world."

"I take pride in that ability, Ms. Rika."

The bus made its way down the road and into the highway which is illuminated like a Christmas Tree by car lights and lampposts. After a couple minutes, Geeta turned to me, grinning like a child. "Did I tell you about the time when I was just a beginner, and I accidentally threw my wallet at a wild Pokemon instead of a Pokeball?"

I looked at Geeta with an amused and skeptical look. "Sounds like a load Tauros shit but do tell."

"Alright, so it was 23 years ago, back when I just began my journey..."

As Geeta continued her story about her bumpy beginnings, I leaned into my seat and listened. Seems like this will be a pretty short ride home.

The End

________________________________________

AN: I uh... dunno what to say here. This story did get delayed for a few reasons, being writers block and getting sidetracked by video games. I have plans to rewrite one of my older works, so be on the lookout for that... eventually. But other than that, I hope y'all have a great day. Oh, and don't smoke please. Until next time, StrangeFryingPan out!