Summoning Misfortune

Start from the beginning

"You caught me so YOU could run away yourself?!" He turned to face Deuce. "Hey! You there! Uh... Juice?"

"My name isn't 'Juice'. It's Deuce. 'Deu'."

"This is partially your responsibility, you know! So help me catch that little furball!"

"How is this my responsibility?!"

"Grim's useless janitor friend can't use magic. That means it's up to you and me!"

His argument didn't make sense, but the no magic part did. All equally frustrated, they took off.

"You better stop right there, furball!"

"Make me, explodey-hair!"

"Follow me, juice."

"How hard is it for you to say my name right?!"

Three humans and a cat manuvered through objects and passing students. They received mixed reactions from the students they passed.

The boys were faster than her, so in no time Kayra was tired. She stopped and placed her hands on her knees, panting heavily. There was quite the distance between them, but they were still in her sight. The nearby students snickered and taunted her. She looked around frantically, trying to find a short cut or a way of stopping Grim. When she did find it, she dashed across the lawn.

The boys managed to corner Grim near a building.

Ack! I got nowhere to go!

Ace grinned. "One more push, and we've got this in the bag."

Then, they both said in union, "If I stop him with my magic-!"

They turned to look at each other.

"Hey, could you not steal my schtick? Step off!"

"Or you could just stay out of my way!"

Grim saw his chance and dashed past them towards the cafeteria.

It decided to make the most of the furniture within. It ducked over and under, putting the obstacle course to good use. As he made his way towards the French windows on the other side of the hall, Kayra burst through them. Changing direction, it used a table for momentum and leapt onto a chandelier. The three humans crashed into each other.

"Heh heh heh! Catch me if you can!"

"No fair climbing onto the chandelier, you coward!" Deuce said. "I haven't really learned flight magic yet.. What could I summon to hold onto him...? Hmmm.... Oh! That's it!"

"Did you come up with somethi- Oh, hey! Stop! What are you doing?!" Ace's expression rose and fell with comedic timing. "Why are you pointing your pen at me?!"

"Because I'm going to launch you."

Kayra who was still on the floor, stopped rubbing her joints. No way does this end well.

"Are you kidding me?!" Ace was already levitating. "Put me down! Seriously, do not launch me! Abort! ABORT!"

She got up. "Maybe we can tr-"

"Just make sure to grab it tight." There was no stopping Deuce. "I've got him in my sights, and... go!"

Ace screamed as he was violently tossed towards the chandelier. Grim released another ear piercing scream. Kayra covered her eyes. The landing was even more horrible than she imagined. Her hands lowered to her mouth.

"The chandelier!" -Was ruined completely.

Ace coughed in an undignified manner. "I cannot believe you just did that!"

Kara picked up a dazed Grim and made sure her grip on it was tight. Deuce then realized that he should've thought of the landing.

"You complete and total moron!" Ace yelled. "We got Grim, but we broke the chandelier! If the Headmage finds out about this-"

"If I found out about... what, dear Ace?"

Kayra's senses tingled. Everything except Crowley's voice drowned out. She couldn't seem to focus anywhere else.

"Ah! Headmage Crowley...!" Ace had given up too.

"YOU. THREE. AGAIN. What have you done this time?!" Crowley yelled at them.

Grim groaned. "...everything's spinning..."

"Burning a statue wasn't enough for you?! Now you've destroyed a chandelier?! Enough. All of you are expelled."

Kayra died inside.

Both boys reeled back in shock, but their voices were a distant echo to Kayra.

"Headmage, please!" Deuce begged. "Give me a second chance! I can't get expelled from this school! I need to be here!"

"Then blame yourself for your own foolish behavior."

"I'll pay for the damages! However much it costs!"

Crowley proceeded to explain how the chandelier is ancient and that the candles were enchanted to burn for eternity. And thanks to it's legendary creator it's value is at a billion thaumarks. Both boys felt uncomfortable at hearing the sum. Ace suggested using magic to fix it. Unfortunately, the magestone that powered it was now cracked. Which was not easy to replace. Crowley had serious doubts for fixing it.

Kayra sobbed silently- an uncomfortable silence for the others. Crowley panicked at the sight of a crying child. They suffered from the guilt of knowing what this meant for her. She rubbed her runny nose on the back of her hand. Her tears fell on the furry head of Grim. The creature was still out.

Ace sighed.

Deuce contemplated his actions. He was there at orientation, he knew what the situation was. Now, thanks to him, this kid was homeless. Then there was to consider how his mother would feel.

"Ah...! But there may be one way." Crowley needed to calm the Kaye down. He was done for if Trein saw him as the cause of a crying child. "One tiny silver of a chance to repair this chandelier."

"There is?!" The boys asked.

Kayra stopped crying and looked up.

He explained how the magestone came from a 'Dwarfs' Mine'. Getting another one would make a repair possible. However, magestones, nowadays, were scarce. It was unlikely that there would be any left. Yet Deuce was very eager to avoid expulsion, which Crowley decided to suspend for a single night.

"But if you fail to return with a magestone by morning, then all of you are expelled."

"I understand, sir." Deuce replied. "Thank you very much for this opportunity!"

Ace sighed. "Fine, the. Let's hurry down there, find a magestone, and get this whole thing done with."

Crowley recommended using the gates in the mirror chamber for efficiency. Grim finally came to and inquired of the situation. Kayra's voice sounded as lifeless as she felt.

"You may end up wishing you'd remained unconscious."

÷