Chapter 1: अंदेखा

The papers were scattered on the table out of the file. Its not like the case was a hard nut to crack for a great Barrister like him but that doesn't mean he would take it lightly. Even if it was a minor case, even if he get paid less or nothing at all, he dedicate himself towards it finding the strongest points in favour.

For Anirudh Roy Choudhary, a case, is a case. No matter how big or small it is.

Earlier he was addressed as Zamindar Babu, Chote malik, Roy Choudhary ji, etc. because of his family's reputation among the society.

But now, he is called Barrister Babu. The world doesn't calls him Barrister Babu just like that. He had earned this title and respect by his hard work in these 8 years. He earned his own identity.

But today, he wasn't able to focus. It's been 2 week since that temple incident took place and neither he had seen her at that spot on their given day, nor she has joined court yet. More than this, it was her strange behaviour he witnessed that day was bothering him.

Firstly she got fooled by the shopkeeper. He remembered how she once got looted in childhood when kaka sent her to the market and she didn't know anything about cost, budget and even currency.

Secondly, she was clearly at gunpoint of almost 7 people and she didn't react. Ofcourse she is brave but that doesn't mean she wouldn't atleast question them for capturing her, but no. She was standing there continuing to talk with the priest, as if the rest of the people around her were totally invisible to her.

And thirdly, well he just didn't wanted to think about that. But couldn't help

"ye kaisi paristithi hai Tapur. Mere Sakha Babu mujhe dekhna hi nahi chahate, aur main... main chahkar bhi unhe nahi dekh paayi."

"Barrister Babu" A colleague junior to him came into his cabin breaking his thoughts. "Aap kal yahi file dhoond rahe the na?" He kept the file on the table. "Thank you Polash"

"Waise I forgot to tell you that a new Barrister is going to join here today." He informed but he seemed quite lost. Usually he listens to these kind of news but today he was just hearing them without being able to register anything in his mind.

For some unknown reason today his stoned heart was beating in an unusual way. He was unable to understand what was happening to him and suddenly "Hik!"

"Hik!" Chandrachur who was driving the open jeep turned towards her hearing her hiccup.

"Kya hua? Tum theek toh ho na?" He asked to which she nodded positively followed by another hiccup.

The jeep halted in front of the Deenpur district court. Few commoners who were standing near the tea stall saw them and uttered "Arrey ye toh wahi Krishna Nagar wali Thakuma ke ghar ka aadmi hai na?"

The another one saw him getting down from the jeep and nodded "8 saalo se Ghar Jamai bane baitha hai. Suna hai iske ghar walo ne iski patni ko nahi sweekara na uske jale hue chehre ki wajah se, isi liye ye khud hi apni patni ke ghar rehne lag gaya."

The shopkeeper handed them their cups of tea and said "Wo toh bhala hai uski patni ka. Warna kon aise batsurat jali hui shakal wali ladki ko itne saalo tak jhele? Dusri patni na laaya hota ab tak? Suna hai bohot pyaar karta hai apni patni se."

"Kya fayda jab aisi patniyaan hoti hi manhoosiyat ki misaal. Shaadi ke 8 saal baad bhi baccha kaha hua hai inka?"

After getting down Chandrachur went to another side to open the door. He heard another hiccup.

The group of gossips who were watching the show saw a young lady stepping out. Chandrachur gave out his hand to help but instead she held the support pole of the jeep ignoring him. He covered up the embarrassment by using the same hand to wipe out something on the window looking around if nobody has seen him.

The men chuckled seeing that. But one of then in that group who was apparently new in the village asked rubbing his beard "Aapne to kaha tha uski ek jali hui patni hai. Par mujhe toh yaha kuch aur hi dikh rahi hai."

They noticed the girl who just stepped out. A slender figure who was draped in a red sari in a formal style with a green blouse unlike other women. Her hair was waved up hiding her ears and has adorned her neck with a thin gold choker necklace. She was wearing a dark brown shades just like those english people, rich or any foreign returned people wear apparently to avoid the irritation of sunrays.

Perhaps she might not the most beautiful girl they must have seen, but indeed anyone would definitely stare her dusky glow and her features. Her face was like an epitome of divinity.

She had hung a white sling bag out of which a small portion of a file and some black cloth was visible.

"Arrey ye uski patni nahi hai. Shaayad ye uss Thakuma ke ghar ki dusri poti hai. Wahi jo apni shaadi chhor ke vilayat chali gayi thi. Phir iski behen ko mandap mein bithana pada."

"Matlab iss aadmi ki shaadi iss ladki se hone wali thi? Sach mein phooti kismat hai inn janaab ki." They sighed.

And the sets of analysing and gossiping sessions continued there. The started creating their own imaginary stories, and concepts about them.

Meanwhile inside the court, Anirudh's hiccups were getting uncontrollable. Polash filled the fifth glass of water and handed it to him.

"Main zara bahar hoke aata hu." Saying this Anirudh stood up from his place and exited his cabin.

He came out of the building and the hiccups were still on until he saw an unknown girl inside the premises seems to be walking aimlessly. Her face was casted a level up that she must definitely had not noticed the pothole on her way which is filled due to last night's rainfall.

Just a hiccup again was enough for him to realise that she was quite close to it. No was even around to warn her about it as it was still early for everyone to arrive.

"Hic! Hey Dugga Maa! Aisi hi hichkiya aati rahengi toh Hic! case dene kya, koi tujhse baat tak karne..." her thoughts remained incomplete so did her hiccup which was replaced by a sudden gasp when out of nowhere she felt pull on her left arm and the next thing she knew that her body was fell over a strong figure.

She closed her eyes in reflex but... she was familiar with this touch, this fragrance. She felt... homely.

Anirudh had just planned to verbally alert her about the hole but he noticed that she was about to step on that's when he quickly pulled her arms but he himself lost his balance and fell aside on his back with her slender body above.

The petals of the gulmohar flowers lightly showered on them along with the dew drops.

He looked at. Unknowingly, watching her, intently. But why? He ignored  the thought.

He saw that her shades had came off her face and was loosely hanging from her ear and at the tip of her nose almost giving him the view of her face properly. Her eyes which were closed until now, opened and met his. The shades fell off from her face completely giving his eyes a treat of viewing her entire face.

He saw that she was smiling elatedly. Where she was expected to have a fear or surprised expression, she was giving a bright toothy grin and guess what? He wasn't even bothering to ask her or himself think about it. It was like... everything was just normal.

His subconscious mind was just... ignoring everything for that moment.