Chapter Three

"What do you mean he took Karma."

"Milard he took..."

"That wasn't a question, you bloody lack-wit!"

Baron Winsley took a kerchief from his jacket, pat the bead of sweat on his forehead and put it back in his pocket, rearrange his clothes and smile. "Come here son." He said to the young scrawny quivering lad, "of course it is not your fault." Gesturing with his hands for the lad to come closer towards him. In a hush tone he continued. "It is my fault that my soldiers fear the enemy more than me."

The lad now stood in-front of the Baron, the look on his face mirrors a cat's who knows it's about to be run over by a carriage but knows there is nowhere to run.

"Give me your sword." With shaking hands he reached for his sword.

"You all may not know the purpose this thing they call sword is given to you for." He said as if he was a governess teaching is charges. "Now, would you like me to demonstrate?"

Silence.

"Any volunteers?"

The silence got louder.

"This might hurt a bit." he looked the lad before him in his eyes and ran the blade through his abdomen. He fell on the floor, a few inches from the Baron's well-polished shoes, blood from the dying boy making a pool on the blue marble floor.

  ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

This must be his home, Karma thought looking at the huge grey castle that towers before her. Soon the news spread that the Baron was home and all the servants rushed out to meet their master. They made two lines at the front of the arch and as karma's capturer and his men reached up the two lines of smiling servants who welcomed them in unison. Karma watched in amazement at how much they cared for their master. They must have been worried because of the insane mission he went on by himself.

Karma's capturer unmounts his horse and held out his hand for her. Holding on to his hands she let him helped her off his great white horse. Karma noticed how hard his hand was, it wasn't rough nor soft, it was sort of hard and soft at the same time. She felt a tingling sensation down her spine and she let go his hand as soon as she was on the ground. Looking around her she saw that everyone was looking at her, some began whispering to the nearest person beside them and some just stared.

Feeling nervous and out of place Karma straighten her spine and fold her hands in front her in the protective way she always does and look straight ahead as if she did not notice that everyone was staring at her as if she had Dumbo's ears.

Sensing the change in the atmosphere Karma's capturer turned to her and asked, "Your name?"

"My name is Karmaline Winsley and it's a pleasure meeting you." She said sarcastically.

"This is Karmaline she will be staying with us"- he glanced at her, then added, "for a while." The servants began smiling with her. "Show her to a room Mary." He said. A young girl came and led her through a hall where there was a huge dining table, the room was well lit from the sunlight from the huge windows. After going up a few stairs Mary took Karma to a bedroom. The room was not what she expected, Karma wasn't expecting the Baron to put her in such a lovely room nor was she expecting to get a maid. Karma learn one more thing about her capturer, he is certainly accommodating to his captives.

"I will go fetch you warm water for your bath." Mary muttered and turned towards the door.

  *~*~*~*~*~*~*