"You don't know the Queen of Hearts?"

Both of them turned to face their new company. It was the first local she met who looked normal. With the exception of the heart near his eye, almost hidden by his ginger hair. Grim was stupid enough to ask if the lady was 'some kinda big deal'.

Why else would there be a statue of her?!

But the guy gave them both a better explanation.

"She was a queen who lived in a mazelike garden of roses long, long ago. She was a strict woman who prized order above all. She wouldn't tolerate a rose being off-colour, or her playing-card soldiers being out of step. She basically ruled over a kingdom of madness, but not one of her subjects dared to defy her. You wanna know why? Because the punishment for breaking a rule was immediate decapitation!"

Okay... Mad monarch. Why would you make a statue of someone like that?!

Grim gasped. "That's seriously messed up!"

"Pretty cool, right? I'm a big fan."

Then you're messed up too.

"I mean, who would bother to obey a queen who was kind all the time."

"Yeah, true. A leader needs to be strong." Grim agreed.

"First of all," Kayra interrupted. "There's a certain way to word your point. Next, Grim- back to work!"

"I can do whatever I wanna. But puttin' that aside... Who're you, now?"

"Name's Ace. I'm a first year student here, as of ...today! Pleased to meetcha!"

Grim introduced himself as a prodigy, and Kayra as his "far less interesting hench-human".

"Kaye, huh?" Ace asked. "Name's got an odd ring to it."

"Nice to meet you." She replied in a tired voice. "And I'm not anyone's hench-anything."

Please don't notice that I'm a girl...!

Grim then questioned Ace about the scar-eyed lion statue. Kayra continued to sweep but payed close attention.

"That's the King of Beasts who ruled the Savanna. But he wasn't born into the throne- he had to earn it through hard work and elaborate schemes. When he became king, he declared that the hyenas would be pariahs no more, and should live among his subjects as equals."

Grim commented on how not everyone is able to look past social status very easily. Kayra agreed- he sounded better than the queen at least. Though "hard work" and "elaborate schemes" was not the usual combination.

Next was the Octo-lady.

"The Sea Witch who lived in an underwater grotto. She basically devoted her life to helping troubled merfolk. If they were willing to pay the price, she'd help them change their appearance, find love, whatever! They say she was so good, there was no wish she couldn't grant. They also say the price was a tad steep though. But she was granting wishes! Of course it was!"

Grim was delighted at the prospect of scamming people once he became a proper mage. Kayra had never been so thankful that he had bad aim. Ace moved on at Grim's request.

"That's the Sorcerer of the Sands."

Is Grim seriously gonna make him explain all seven?!

"He was an advisor to a total dolt of a sultan."

Hold on- Time out. No info dumps!

"He was a smart guy. Really capable sort. He exposed this swindler once- some guy pretending to be a prince in order to trick the princess! After that, he got this magic lamp and became the greatest sorcerer in the world. Then, they say... he used that power to become sultan himself!"