Chapter 71 - Novas pride

Zacznij od początku

There he goes again, trying to act all tough. When in reality he's just being huge a softy. My heart fluttered a bit, oh my gosh he looks so handsome when he's glaring. 

"Don't disrespect us! After what you did to fathers nest!? After you killed so many of us for sport! You think we're gonna just let that go!?" The main one from earlier spoke again. 

"Look, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've got a lot going on right now and attacking a vampire nest isn't one of those things." Nova explained. 

"No chance! We're going to stop this. We may be new, but this is our family!" He yelled back. 

As they spoke, something shot out from the treeline. It was a blur and a loud popping sound followed its movements. Dust trailed from the figure and over to Nova, followed by Novas grunts. Once the dust settled, my heart dropped. A hand of a vamp had run through Nova's back. The vampire that attacked however, was on his knees, like he'd broken both his legs. Nova stumbled a bit, but managed to stay on his feet. 

"Nova!" I yelled. 

"Stop trying to act tough, shiftless!" The vampire from behind yelled and yanked his hand from his back, letting Nova's blood fly into the air. "You're just a dirty little dog!"

I started to merge with Fred, but it was already too late. As another vampire had ran in and punched Nova in the face and sent him flying back on the ground. My vision faded for a moment as my body shifted. As soon as it came back, I took off my eye patch and ran forward. But the sight before me immediately brought my running to a screeching halt.  

Nova had leaped forward and grabbed the throat of the vampire that stabbed him. He dug his nails into the vampire's throat and ripped his head from his body. The vampire's blood rained down over him, while the vampire that punched him raced forward at Nova. Nova quickly spun around and kicked him in the stomach, and sent him flying back, way harder than the punch he gave the vampire earlier! The vampire crashed into the tree and Nova raced forward. He stabbed his hand through the vampire's chest and I even heard the cracking from the tree that was behind the vamp. Then Nova yanked his hand out and I saw the vampires beating heart and pieces of wood in his hand. 

As Nova turned, I saw a very different look. It sent chills down my spine. It was hate, just pure hate in his eyes. He then turned toward the Vampires and took a bite of the heart! Blood gushed everywhere and painted him red. While he gave the vampires a sadistic smile. Then he spat the piece of flesh from his lips to the ground and smiled. 

"You know why wolves don't eat vampires? It's because you taste like shit." He said with a smile. 

"You bastard!" Someone yelled.

A vampire suddenly leaped from the trees and rocketed down at him with tremendous speed. The same popping sound that came from the one that stabbed Nova came off him as well. Which suddenly brought me back to worrying about Nova. However, that fear would soon vanish as Nova spun around and snatched the vampire from the air by his face. Nova simply glared at the vampire and I saw its body shaking. Then Nova opened his mouth and roared. 

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!" He screamed. 

My body trembled at the sound. It wasn't a wolf's voice or a man's. He sounded like a monster. He then spun around and stomped on the ground, and I swear I felt the earth shake. Then, he slammed the vampire’s face into the tree. Where the vampire grew limp, and he dropped him. Nova turned back and eyed the rest of the vampires.

"Well come on! Don't play pretend! I smelled the wolves behind you! I'm not scared! Come out and fight me!" He yelled.

The rest of the vampires looked around and there was silence for a moment. Then suddenly huge wolves just leaped out from the treelines! They landed, standing on their hindlegs and charged at Nova. Who gleefully met them. And it was a bloodbath. Nova wasn't holding back anymore. His punches, his kicks, they all tore and ripped at anyone that came his way. It was like watching Nyx all over again. No! No! Not again! I'm not gonna stand back and watch him kill himself. 

"I'm going!" I told the girl and leaped in on all fours. 

I raced in fast and I saw him catch a glimpse of me. However, he spun around and kicked me in the stomach. My lunch came up and I crashed against the ground. I rolled back until I smacked into a wooden stump. And there I watched Nova. Being torn apart and tearing others apart. 

I get it now, what Boa was trying to say. He's all alone. Just like when I met him for the first time. Alone and trying to carry the burden of being king. I coughed and spit the rest of my lunch from my mouth, and then I heard Nova scream. As the wolf managed to slash through his back, and a vampire biting and tearing off a chunk of his shoulder. That's when I noticed the blood leaking from his earlier wound. It was pouring out blood. That's why he's losing. 

I pushed myself up again and took a breath. Nyx's face came into mind, the sadistic face that was being consumed by the darkness. I'm not gonna let that happen again! I'm strong now. I kneeled down on all fours and started to let fire build up in my mouth.  

Nova! I'm not leaving you! I leaned back and blasted a ball of fire at the vampire on his shoulder. Immediately making him scream and fall off to the ground. The wolf looked my way and I was already upon him. Tackling him down and biting into his throat, sending off a huge burst of fire. He screamed loudly and tried to claw at me. I nimbly dodged his strikes and moved to the side of him and blasted another ball of fire at his face. Which took all of his attention. I looked up and saw Nova stumbling and then he dropped onto his back. While more wolves and vampires darted at him. Damn! I can't get them both!

I raced forward and blasted fire at the wolf, who took it to the face and skidded to a stop. Wailing in pain and dropping to the ground. Then I rushed to the vamp and I saw the little girl leaping up and biting into the vampire's throat. The vamp hissed and bashed his fist into the girl's face over and over, but she didn't let go. He then stabbed his fingers into her side. And I managed to make it over and tackled him to the ground. We rolled and he moved to bite my neck, but I opened it up more for him to let him bite my scales. Then I shoved my hand into his mouth, his teeth stabbing into my palms and fingers as I breathed fire down his throat. I let go immediately after and he started to flail around and scream. 

I got up and kicked him away, then turned toward Nova, seeing a pool of blood under him. Crap! I turned to the girl and I saw her own puddle of blood under her. But she was standing. Good, she can move. I looked around and saw everything was now just corpses. I took a breath and unshifted from Fred. He landed beside Nova and I immediately grabbed the bag of healing salts from my pocket.

"Fred! Make sure the borders are safe!" I demanded. "I'm gonna save Nova."

Fred nodded and ran off into the woods. I whistled for Cupcake now too. I gotta make sure we're safe. I looked at the little girl. And I saw her staring intently at a wolf in a blood puddle. While blood still ran down her side.

Damnit! She's gonna bleed out if she doesn't move! And so is Nova!

"Fred! Change of plans!  Be careful and get the girl! I'll carry Nova. Let's hope Cupcake gets here fast…" I said and started to drag Nova to the river.

Please, don't be dead!