Chapter 63: Forgotten World (3)

Start from the beginning

"Cold..." she let out a small murmur, looking at the entrance, waiting low for the monster to enter and lure it. Then to be buried below the snow once she activates a sacrificial magic; it's a magic that doesn't need chants as long as you have a magic circle drawn in the blade that will reap the victim's life. In other words, it's powerful magic, but it will kill either the executioner or the sacrificial lamb in return of using it.

For the next few minutes, the monster didn't appear; it may still be eating her fallen comrades, as Saffine thought drifting on her imagination, clenching her fist as she held the dagger to use for the sacrificial magic.

However, that didn't happen as a distinct thundering explosion resounded as if a lightning strike or an explosion after a hellfire spell was unleashed, or a musket shot... Saffine opened her eyes in realization that some soldiers were still fighting the monsters right now. She jumped in the direction of gunfire. Not minding the ambush plan, she thought muskets might be able to slay the monsters.

Then an uninterrupted thundering clap of fire relentlessly resounded; it's not the sound of muskets she remembers, as muskets are a single-shot weapon that was recently unveiled in the country and used in limited numbers. Though the much larger and heavier 'cannons' are more prevalent in Esperanto, as they require less precision to make than the smaller and more complex muskets, and there's no way a musket could unleash this kind of barrage unless there were thousands of them firing in perfect synchronous sequence. It might be a different weapon, she thought.

"I have to hurry... kugh!?" saying so, however, she began coughing up blood, despite her attempt to discover what truly happened, her body is already beyond its limit, and the worsening and deteriorating health due to multiple fractures and wounds is accelerating her inevitable end if not treated properly.

The gunfire paused for a minute, then resumed with intensity, followed by an explosion that lightly shook the ground. The moment she exited, the monster had already been put on its knees and collapsed-the one who perpetrated what two odd people in dirty dark apparel with a tingling uniformity. Furthermore, one of them slowly approached the monster, as if not scared of it, and fired a shot, probably trying to confirm whether it was dead or not. Nevertheless, she noticed, that's undeniably a gun, but not as large as bulky muskets or the larger handheld wallguns she thought.

Saffine stepped forward, trying to contact them but that moment, her vision went dark.

___________

"...Kill the fire, burry it afterwards... Sarge, can you pack up the machine gun?."

"Zaini and Jammal, if you already got your gears up... Then, get your asses in position, be cautious."

""Yes Lieutenant!.""

"Don't remove your gloves unless you want to get amputated by frost bite."

In a hectic exchange as if in a market, multiple voices rang around as several silhouettes of men in the familiar dirty, dark apparel moved around, doing unfamiliar stuff in the barely peeking eyes of Saffine, who is still sleepyheaded. Because of their background, they appear as a dizzying sight due to the light effect of the sun rising on the horizon.

"What's this? Valhalla?." She let out a small murmur that was immediately taken up by the nearby watchmen. A person with a stick supporting his walk "Uhm, Lieutenant, the sleeping beauty has woken up." He immediately turned and opened up the radio and told the lieutenant about the situation.

Probably hearing his radioed voice, Saffine faces him in wonder and curiosity, gazing him intently, making the person feel a bit awkward and forcibly make a bitter smile, then greet her.

"Oh, hello there."

"Are you Valkyrie?."

"Hmm, Isn't Valkyries is composed of women? I'm obviously not."