II. river

CHAPTER TWO / River

DECEMBER 17TH

DECEMBER 17TH

     Sofia is back. Sofia! The love of Blaire's life, Sofia.

It's all Blaire's mind has been screaming at her since she found out. Even now, as she is walking into The Strand bookstore with Priya, her mind is still stuck on Sofia. Blaire has to force herself to pay attention to what her friend is saying.

"How is college?" Priya is asking her with a grin. "I cannot wait to graduate soon. High school is killing me."

Blaire hesitates. "College is... good."

Here's the thing: Blaire likes college, but it's been a tough adjustment. Whilst she is the same age as her friends from home and the friends she grew up with—friends like Priya—she's in the year above, and now she's graduated and in college but she is the only one. It feels a little isolating, knowing they're all together still and she... isn't. Blaire has a few people she talks to in her classes, and she'll hang out with them outside of class, but it isn't the same. No one who really knows her, who really gets her.

"Just good?" Priya giggles, not sensing Blaire's hesitation. "Come on, there's no girls you've set your sights on?"

"No." Blaire laughs.

The only girl is Sofia. It's only ever been Sofia.

(Not that Sofia knows it...)

Blaire's eyes wander and land on a boy standing a little ways away from them, scribbling something in a notepad. Her eyes widen, and her hand instinctively wacks Priya in the arm as she hisses, "Look, it's Dash!"