"Hello, my dear students. I welcome you all on a day like this. A day in which we will hold great pleasure and look forward to the coming weeks and months. I think you all already know what I am talking about but I will tell you once again anyway. It is my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year," Dumbledore continued.

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October and continuing though out the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts. We are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year. well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely. The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry – Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years and it was generally agreed to be the a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witch's and wizards of different nationalities – until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued.

There have been several attempts over the centuries to reinstate the Tournament," Dumbledore continued, "none of which have been very successful. However, our own Departments of International Magical Co-Operation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that, this time, no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger.

The Heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang have already arrived and this evening we will have the Champion Selections. An impartial judge will decide which students, are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school and a thousand galleon personal prize money.

Eager though I know all of you will be able to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts," he said, "the heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an agreed restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age – that is to say, seventeen years or older – will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This" Dumbledore raised his voice slightly for several people had made noises of outrage at these words. "is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the Tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and it is highly unlikely that students below Sixth and Seventh year will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion. I therefore beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under seventeen" He paused. His sight slipped to the table of the four marauders for the split of a second. A little smile gracing his lips.

"The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be staying with us for the greater part of this year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected."

The sound of applause echoed through the halls and students started cheering as loudly as they could.
However, as they heard heavy knocks on the door and the harsch sound of steps the Hogwarts students went silent.

"I welcome you all-" Dumbledore spoke up again. "The Durmstrang Institute with they're headmaster Igor Karkaroff."

The doos opened with a swing and lightly crashed into their frames. Revealed were men dressed in uniforms of leather and heavy fur-coats. Most of them had either olive or very pale skin as they scanned the room for everything new. Suspicious. Some of them were quite known for playing in famous quidditch teams. Others were known because of their family-name. Mostly not because of good things. With serious looks on their faces they stalked through the halls, fountains of fire following them. They looked majestic. Strict. And upright all the way. They looked dangerous. And behind the students their headmaster stepped into the room. Silence.