Chapter 1

Life is what you make of it. Sometime it has its ups and other times it had a lot of downs. Maya Hart was at a ski resort while she was drawing the scenery outside. She was there with friends hoping to find the answers to her questions. But she didn't know if they even should be asked. She looked around. The lodge was cozy and friendly. Much like it's owner while she didn't know much about the history. Maya stepped onto the floor while she walked towards the pictures that were up against the walls. Pictures of a young Evan with his mother and a man, who wasn't at the lodge. Maya smiled at the happy family while she heard her phone ringing.

The name was familiar yet she didn't want to face that conversation yet. She was indeed scared to face certain things and the father-daughter conversation was one of those things. Maya bit her lip as she instantly put her phone away. While thinking how her life had changed, she heard footprints coming into the lodge. She smiled as she saw her history teacher and the rest of the group students coming into the lodge. She had decided to stay home while they had go on a hike as the last one she was one didn't go according to plan.

"You and you," Cory said pointing to Maya and his younger brother, Josh.

"Outside now," he said.

Maya knew when Cory spoke like that he was dead serious and if you dared to disobey him, it wouldn't end good. She grabbed her jacket as she went out while Josh was more hesitant. He didn't think much of his brother's behavior, but he also knew that due to who they both were he would obey his older brother regardless what it was. Seeing as Maya stood outside on the porch he had figured that the girl had a lot of respect for Cory as she obeyed him without questioning anything. He saw as his brother came out, Maya instantly turning around, while he looked at his brother.

"Okay, Brotha. What is going on? Why wanna speak to me and the blonde?" Josh asked as Maya looked at Josh.

"First of all, she has a damn name. College doesn't mean you have to disrespect Maya," Cory said as Josh nodded.

"Did you even apologize to Maya for yelling at her yesterday?" Cory asked as Josh got reminded about the day.

"I'm not going to apologize. She was being reckless and you know that. She could have gotten herself killed," Josh said.

"You," Cory said as Maya looked at Cory.

"Stop thinking you are worth less than you are. You would have caused a scene with Josh speaking to you the way he did, but you kept your mouth shut. Why?" Cory asked.

"Because he was right," Maya said.

"You saved Farkle. You did a good deed. It wasn't needed for my brother to yell at you. Stop thinking you are worth nothing. What your father did to you doesn't define you," Cory said.

"What did her father do?" Josh asked confused at what was going on.

"If you had given her the opportunity, you would have known about her family life," Cory said as Maya suddenly remembered what she was supposed to do.

"Goodness, I nearly forgot," Maya said as she got an envelope out from her jacket pocket.

"Shawn wanted me to give you this," Maya said as Josh opened it.

"Shawn and your mom are getting married?" Josh asked as Maya nodded

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Shawn and your mom are getting married?" Josh asked as Maya nodded.

"And Maya made the invitations herself," Cory said as Josh looked at her.

"Talented then. Tell him I say thank you and I'll definitely be there," Josh said as Maya nodded.

"Why didn't Shawn ask me to give it to him? He didn't know when you would see Josh again," Cory said.

"Apparently it was my choice whether he should be there or not. Did you tell your best friend about our situation maybe?" Maya asked.

"I didn't have a choice. He asked," Cory said.

"Are you okay with it all then?" Josh asked looking at Maya as she had nodded.

"You should be there," Maya said.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you yesterday. You just gave me a fright," Josh said.

"I should learn to be more careful. I'm not 5 anymore. I have a lot of people in my life who love me and care for me. So maybe we both can learn from the experience," Maya said.