15

Kattegat
803 AD

Kol and Rebekah spent a lot of time with their father - perhaps more time than they'd ever spent with him - and to all of their surprise they actually got along.

It was surprisingly easier to get along with their father than Kol expected; Mikeal might hate their bloodlust and violent natures as vampires but if so much blood was spilt in the name of Odin he was all for it.

One morning whilst the twins were passed out asleep from the strong mead and late party from the night before where Ragnar announced his plan to attack Paris, Mikael visited the seer privately.

Upon entering the seer's hut Mikael licked his hand in greeting and respect for the powerful creature.
"How does it feel to be among the living?" The blind man asked as they sat across from each other.
"You tell me, Ancient One." The spokesman almost barked out a laugh. "Ask what you want to ask, vampire."
"My twins, I always knew they were special. Hel molded them in her image, after all. But why does this demon want to hurt them so?"
"Who says he wants to hurt them?"
"He sent them away from their family."
"He also reunited them with you."
"Yes. Rebekah believes Klaus must be the one who is prophesied to kill Sajhan given that he raised me from the dead."
"But you think otherwise, don't you Mikael, son of Erik?"
"And you don't?"
"I don't think. I just see. And I see a glorious battle on the horizon."
"Glorious? That must mean we win"
"We?" Now, the Seer laughed. "Is this The Destroyer longing to be part of the family he tried to kill for 1000 years?"
"I only ever tried to kill Niklaus."
"1919, New Orleans, you held the only white oak stake to Elijah's heart. New Orleans again in 2014 - you choked Kol, threatening him to release you from Davina's spell."
"I didn't know that was Kol at the time." Mikeal defended quietly
"But you recognised Rebekah in another form." The Seer challenged
"How do you know all of this anyway?"
"The gods see all. And they show me things that might be useful when they know someone is going to come knocking on my door."

/ /

Mikael returned to their hut feeling dejected and annoyed from his visit to the Ancient One.

"Where have you been?" He heard Rebekah question from behind him as he shuts the door.
"Out." Mikael simply replies. He can only sense one presence but looks around the hut anyway. "Where's your brother?"
"Out." Rebekah repeats.

Mikael finally noticed what Rebekah was doing.
"Where did you get that?"
"Floki dropped it off. He's been carving it since the feast for our return; apparently he and Kol discussed battle strategies." Rebekah explained as she continued to place the wooden chess pieces on their correct squares.
"Care for a game?"
"I didn't think you cared much for chess. Not after you nearly whipped Niklaus to death for carving chess pieces."
"He used my hunting knife to do it."
"I would've stabbed you."
"You weren't even holding the sword correctly."
"Well, I couldn't let you think I actually knew how to use it." Rebekah pulled the corner of her lip into a smile before pausing. "Why did you do that? We're Viking. Women fight in the shield wall too. Don't tell me you secretly converted to Christianity and their terrible, oppressive laws."
"No! Don't be ridiculous!" Mikael said offended. "Truth be told Rebekah, I'm not sure why. A combination of reasons I suppose: in our new home their rules were more like the Christians; I wanted my sons to be warriors like me and then my baby daughter showed the most potential; and after Freya had died I couldn't let another daughter of mine die."
Rebekah was moved by her father's words but blinked her watery eyes away not wanting him to think he was beginning to win her over. "Pawn to e4." She called moving a white pawn forward two spaces beginning the chess game. Mikael smiled slightly and nodded walking forward to join her at the table.