Confusion creased his brows briefly, but he didn't argue. Bowing to the waist, he made to turn around.

"And Adam." David sighed, knowing he couldn't leave Adam behind this time. With his parents dead and Jon likely mad at him after their fall out last evening, he had no choice but to take Adam with him. "Have a maid prepare him for the trip immediately. They needn't pack anything, our bags shall be sent on a later date."

"Of course, my lord."

After the valet went to do his bidding, David spent the next half hour trying to force his breakfast down his throat. The eggs tasted like paper, and he found the smell of the fish too foul for his stomach. Choosing to blame his loss of appetite on a hangover rather than a lovesick heart, he turned his attention to the pot of tea. He hoped the sugar might strengthen him and ease his nausea enough to embark on the long journey back to Oakham Hall. He had nearly finished the entire pot when a knock sounded on the door.

"Enter," he commanded gruffly.

A maid entered and bowed. "Forgive me, my lord, but I thought you might want to see this," she said, burying her hand in her white apron and extracting a piece of paper.

He raised a brow. "What is it?"

"It was found in Mrs Taylor's room." David felt his heart quicken at the mention of Eloise, and fighting to suppress his emotions, he reached for the paper. "One of the maids went in there to inform her of the impromptu journey back to Oakham Hall, so she might prepare herself, but she wasn't there. This note was found on her dresser. It is addressed to Master Adam, but I thought it best to bring it to you. I fear Mrs Taylor has run off..." she was saying, but he barely heard her as he stared at the note; first taking in Eloise's perfect penmanship, then taking in the message she sought to convey.

My dearest Adam,

Something has come up and I'm forced to leave your side. It grieves my heart, the mere thought of your devastation once you have learned of my departure. Even more so, it grieves me to be away from you. You must know I carry you in my heart at all times; I shall never forget you—how shall I? Nor shall I ever stop loving you...

Will you ever stop loving me, Eloise? David wondered, his gaze fixed on the note as he thought of her. He knew it was a cruel thing to say, but he wanted her to stay loving him. He wanted to possess her heart forever, even if he was forbidden from possessing her body. And he knew she possessed his heart; he knew she would always possess him.

Perhaps someday, upon the wishes of God, we might be reunited. Until then, I ask that you not depart from all I have taught you.

I love you, now and always.

Mrs Taylor.

He finished the note, then re-read it severally until he had every word memorized. It was true it wasn't addressed to him, but he wanted to own the words. He wanted to be the one she'd always love; he wanted to be the one she'd carry in her heart forever—the one she would never forget.

"My lord," the maid called, reminding him of her presence. He had been so engrossed in Eloise, he had forgotten he wasn't alone.

"You're dismissed," he murmured.

"And Mrs Taylor?"

He raised his gaze to her impatiently. "She's well. I'm aware of her departure and it's nothing to worry about. Go."

Nodding nervously, she curtsied. "Very well, my lord."

He watched her scurry out of the room before turning his attention back to the note. He was required to hand it to Adam, but for some reason, he was reluctant to part with it. A part of him wanted to store it in a safe place where he could reach it when he needed to reach her.