Issue #14: The Sports Festival Part 4: The First Round

Wade blinked with a deadpan expression on his face. "Well, that didn't last long." He said. When Todoroki's ice was all cleared off the stadium and the stage rebuilt for the next match, the next match started. It was Kaminari vs. Ibara Shiozaki. It was over before it could really begin. Kaminari set a power shock of electricity at her, but she used her Vine-Quirk to protect herself. Because Kaminari used his power too much, he short-circuited himself, which Shiozaki took her chance to seize the blond with her hair and held him up in the air. She was declared the winner.

At that moment he heard the cheering coming from the other side of the wall that divided his class from another, he knew that from the other side was the Class B-1, no doubt thrilled to see their comrade winning the match.

"Man, and I thought he would stand a chance. That Shiozaki is very good..." Jiro said, scratching her chin.

"Poor Kaminari." Wade said with a bit of a smirk.

"You don't seem too sorry for him." Jiro noticed it as she asked Wade with an amused look.

"Oh, I do. Only because he now has to look dumber for the next hour." He and Jiro shared a laugh.

"Well, what a surprise." Said a voice before the class turned their heads to the left. It was Monoma with this passive-aggressive, disdainful smile as he was pecking out over the wall that divided the class from Class B-1. "He said he could take in a second, and the match really was over in just two seconds! I wonder if his real Quirk is the ability to tell the future! Hey, wasn't Class A-1 supposed to be so much better than us?"

Monoma started laughing at them, and Wade was about to stand off his seat, climb up the wall and knock his teeth in, when suddenly Kendo came up behind her classmate. She then karate-chopped Monoma on the back of the neck, knocking him out and he fell off the wall, before Kendo caught him by the back of his shirt.

Kendo looked over the wall with an apologetic smile. "Sorry about him. He's really a nice guy, only he can be a little... eccentric sometimes."

At least someone from Class B-1 was being polite with them.

Wade sighed and leaned back into his chair with his arms crossed. Shiozaki's ability to unleash her power was something else. Not only could she build up a wall, but also bind her enemies. Kaminari's Quirk had no effect, rendering it useless when she countered him. But he also could have had a chance if he could maneuver better, but he panicked and short-circuited after one attack.

Shiozaki's vines reminded him of Kamui Wood's binding attacks. Like his web-shooters, binding types are always strong if the target doesn't break out. It's virtually impossible to dodge all the vine attacks. Meaning that if Wade was to fight her, he'd had to cut the vines. He'd have to be careful with them going for the hands.

"Hey, Wade." Wade snapped out of his thoughts when he heard Ochaco's voice. He turned to his left and saw her and Momo looking at him. Mina, who was in the chair to the right of him, was also curious as to his odd behavior. "You're okay? You seemed a little spaced out. Were you thinking about something?"

"Oh, uh, well, kind of." Wade sheepishly admitted. "It's something my dad told me a long time ago. Before a fight, know both yourself and your opponent."

"What's that mean?" asked Mina, blinking in confusion.

"It's a way of saying that you have to be smart in the battles you pick." Wade told her. "It's not every day I get to see some pretty damn powerful Quirks. Quirks I don't even think I could win against with my powers. My fight with Shinso showed me that, so with each match, I'm trying to figure out what's the best way of taking down the opponent and what the losing person did wrong as to not make the same mistakes."