24. Someone special

Ram glanced at Priya from far and raised his brows, asking what happened—to know why she seemed so lost.

She raised a gentle smile and shook her head. She bent down her head and went back to prepare the order. Her gaze fell on the flowers.

'It feels nice to get flowers on Valentine's day.'

She cracked another smile. Damn, even the flowers reminded her of him.

As the last customer stepped out of the bakery, Ram turned the close sign to face the street. He tossed the apron on the table.

"I was never this tired," he said, and plopped on a chair nearby. He sat there, under the fan rotating on full speed, and almost doze off.

'If you are caring and supporting each other 364 days, then it's not wrong to take this one day to express and celebrate your love.'

Sara's advice on expressing how you feel kept running through her mind. Sure they weren't lovers, least he was a friend.

I should thank him, let him know what he did meant a lot, she told herself.

****

"Mr. Kapoor," she called softly and stood beside him. It awakened him.

"Pri... Priya." He squinted his eyes and got up. "I was... wasn't sleeping..." he stuttered.

"Last hour in the bakery was pretty hectic. It would have been suffocating for you," she said, guilty.

"Umm, no. No-" he stopped abruptly. His mouth fell open at sight of her, carrying a red rose in her hand.

Is it for real? Did she get it for me? Nahi, Ram. Kuch bhi. He glanced up at her.

She held out the rose to him and said, "It also feels nice to give flowers on Valentine's day."

He rubbed his eyes, still not believing his eyes.

"Thank you. Thank you for staying by and helping me." She motioned him to accept the flower.

"A... a rose? For... for me?" he confirmed. By now, he could hear his heart thumping against his ribs.

She nodded, smiling.

Dazed, he extended his hand and took the flower. He was silent for few minutes. Then he stared the flower. His lips curved into a smile as his mind wandered into reverie. Anytime he thought she couldn't surprise him anymore, she proved him wrong.

"Are you okay?" she questioned, realizing he was smiling to himself quietly.

He nodded weakly.

"Doesn't seem to me," she knitted her brows.

He caught a glimpse of the rose and spoke, "This feels different. This, you giving me a red rose on Valentine's day feels different. Not that I wasn't popular in my college. I was. Bohot ladkiyaan fans bhi thi..." he sniffled, then he looked into her deep brown eyes and held her gaze. "Par... gulaab... gulaab dene wali tum pehli ho."

She tore his gaze embarrassingly. She didn't feel it was a big deal to give him a flower, at least in head.

He added after few seconds, "Generally girls don't—"

"Why? Why does it has to be weird?" she cut him off. Deep lines grooved her face. "I was grateful; You like flowers; I gave it to you. Can't girls give flowers to boys?"