Prologue

*The summer before 9th grade*

It was a Saturday night like any other, and Blair, Nate, Serena, and Chuck were lounging around in Chuck's penthouse. Unlike any other night, they were distracted. Distracted by what Chuck Bass was holding as he stood in front of them.

"Why do you have a bottle of vodka?" Blair demanded in her bossy tone.

"Not just any vodka," Chuck replied with a smirk. "Grey Goose."

"Whatever. Get it out. We just want to chill out and do facials while you boys play pool. Like any other night. Right, S?" She glanced at Serena and was taken aback by the look on her face. Excitement. Hunger, almost.

"B... Haven't you always wanted to know what it's like to be drunk?" Serena asked, her eyes glinting.

"What? No! Classy girls don't get... drunk. They sip champagne at society balls." Blair rolled her eyes at her best friend.

Serena bit her lip. "Come on! It'll be fun. Just this once... If you don't like it we'll stop."

"But of course, if the princess doesn't want to taint her precious lips..." Chuck singsonged mockingly.

"You know what? Fine." Blair grabbed the neck of the bottle from Chuck and guzzled down a stream of vodka. Her face soured in revulsion, but with a loud noise of disgust, she swallowed the liquor.

"Blair!" Nate exclaimed in shock. His voice was immediately drowned out by Serena's clapping and whooping as she reached for the bottle.

Chuck just smiled.