MSMC Bk 3 - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

We threw away Nessa's trash and then walked across the street for boxes. We found four that should be enough to hold whatever it was she needed them for and headed back to her apartment. We opened the outer door and immediately heard yelling that sounded like Nessa and a man and the sound of a baby crying.

"Dennis, you jackass! Get off of her." Nessa screamed. "You're going to kill her. Stop!"

We took off running up the stairs, taking them two and three at a time. When we got to Nessa's door we saw her trying to pull on a man's shirt from behind while he straddled Annalisa on the floor. He was slapping her with one hand and had a hold on her hair with the other. Carmella was crouched against the wall crying. Nessa's face was red on one side, evidence that the man had hit her and I saw red!

I grabbed the man by the hair and yanked him off of Annalisa and punched him in the face. The next thing I know, Eagle grabs the man away from me and begins to beat the hell out of him. I could tell Eagle was losing control and I had to grab his arm to keep him from killing the guy.

"Not in front of the kid, Eagle." I told him and he finally stopped. The man's face was almost unrecognizable. I'm not sure if it was me or Eagle who had broken his nose but his lip was split in two different places and I think his cheek bone was broken.

Nessa picked up Carmella and then helped Annalisa into the bathroom to wash their faces and to calm them both down.

We took Dennis out of the apartment but didn't let him leave. Eagle stayed with him while I went to check on the women. I knocked on the bathroom door and called out to her. "Nessa? Are you guys alright?"

She opened the door, "Where's Dennis?" she asked, trying to look around me.

"Outside in the hall. What the hell happened? Who is that joker?" I asked.

"His name is Dennis Staton. He's Annalisa's ex boyfriend and Carmella's father." Nessa said, then Annalisa added.

"Social services is going after him for child support and he must have gotten the notice either today or yesterday and he's pissed because he refuses to pay me any child support. I tried to explain that it's not me going after him but the state. I can't work and pay someone to watch my daughter so I had no choice but to file for state aid.

He wants me to lie and tell them he's not the father of my child and I refused so he was going to beat me into submission, just like he used to do when we were together. God, I just want him to leave us the hell alone. I don't want anything from him but he won't believe me." Annalisa cried. Her face was all red and her lip was split from where he had been hitting her as well as bruises that were starting to show on her neck and arms.

"We'll take care of this. Just get packed. Tell Annalisa she can go with us. Eagle, well................... he'll take care of her." I told Nessa.

"We're going to need more than my car then, I think." Nessa said.

"One problem at a time. Just get everything packed up and we'll go from there. Okay?" I told her then kissed her forehead.

I left her to deal with Annalisa and returned to find Eagle pacing in front of Dennis who was leaning against the wall, barely conscious.

"Dude, it seems to me like these are your choices here. Pay her what you owe her and leave her the hell alone or die, right here, right now." I told Dennis.

His eyes were already badly swollen but he managed to see the seriousness on my face. "I don't have that kind of money on me. Hell, I don't even have that much in the bank." He said and saw Eagle go for the gun he had in the back of his waistband. "But I can get it if you give me a week or two. I promise. I won't bother her again." Dennis pleaded.