You breathe in, and feel no restriction against your ribcage as it extends to maximum. You hold the air trapped for a moment longer, then exhale. You look down at your palm. You're not sure why you feel like crying. This is what it feels like, to be free. And yet, you had none of it.

You close your eyes,— as despair begins to slowly turn into anger.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

𝐩𝐨𝐯.: 𝐌𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧

I watch in great surprise, as brother opens y/n's vest. It's risky, even I know. But, seeing how things were looking right now, it couldn't get any worse. I was scared when the men came through the windows. Even more though, I was scared for my brother. I had y/n to watch out for me. He had no one. Everyone who tried harming me, tasted a bit of her wrath. She flung these men around like they were made of wood.

I felt protected with her. Still, the thought of losing my brother, the whole situation, panicked shouts everywhere, it made me cry tears of fear and overwhelm. Even more so when I had lost track of him in the crowd.

He is all I have left. I can't lose him. I can't live with father only.

A click sounds in my ears. I wipe my tears with my sleeve, watching him finally run towards me. I reach up to him with shaking hands, and he picks me up easily. I bury my head in his chest, holding onto him tightly.

"It's alright Mairin, everything's alright. I'm here now," he utters. He sounds breathless. From fighting bad men, most likely.

He runs away with me. I only look up once he stops, kneeling down. Though he never stops holding me.

"Y/n;" I whisper. I turn my head just in time to see the transformation. I realize in this moment that I had never seen a hybrid transform before. They had always been stopped from doing so by these odd vests. Now y/n's had been shed.

Bones crack with sickening crunches. She leans forwards onto her hands moments later, howling in pain. Her skin changes colour. As all her human features and curves disappear, she grows dramatically in size, causing her clothes to rip apart. She grows and grows and my grip on my brother tightens when she doesn't stop.

She is taller than Augustine when she does eventually. Everything has grown in size. There's bones on her back now, enveloping her like a ribcage. Sharp teeth sit in her mouth, I see because she fletches them at the attackers.

Everyone had stopped to see what was happening. Even the knights stare frightened at her, unsure how to handle the situation. I still don't fear her, not even when faced with her size. She is still y/n under all that. People always preach to look past appearances and see the soul beneath. Why are hybrids excluded in this view?

A voice yells at us. I look up to see a man approaching, targeting the King's children. Two birds with one stone, he must probably think.

Augustine moves, sliding me off his knee to grab his sword, though he doesn't have to protect us. The man can't even get to us. He's hurled into the air as the stomping hybrid comes to stand before us protectively, howling loudly as if to point this out.

The room abruptly picks back up where it had left off. Men cling to eachother's throat, fighting despite not knowing their opposite. If they did, there is a high chance all of this wouldn't be happening in the first place. If only they'd sit down and talk to the other instead of... this.

With y/n's transformation, they tides have suddenly turned against them. The balance had been completely knocked off, and the fight is clearly in our favour now. It takes a lot of men to fight her. They all stand around her, trying to attack, but she either blocks or kicks them away. Sometimes a hit connects. It doesn't seem to bother her, though the blood dripping from said wounds says otherwise.