Chapter 119 - Failure Is Not An Option

Start from the beginning

Sidharth let out a small sigh of relief.

His fingers deftly flew over the computer keyboard. He turned off every connection between their system and the GSAT-7 Global Satellite Navigation System.

“Call Rohit. Use the hotel Wi-Fi.” Sidharth motioned for Deepak to come over, and moved aside to make space for him. “Ask them what’s going on.”

Deepak hurried over. He paled when he saw Rohit’s email. “There’s something wrong with GSAT-7? But that’s impossible!”

It was only natural for him to be skeptical; anyone who had helped design GSAT-7 and understood how the system worked would have found the idea difficult to swallow.

Sidharth was just as perplexed, but he had always kept a tight lid on his emotions, never allowing them to
betray his thoughts and concerns. He nodded calmly. “If the idea seems ridiculous to even you, then it must be true— something’s up with GSAT-7.”

This was the only explanation. They had been stumped for days, but had
never suspected the GSAT-7 System, having believed it to be unassailable.

The Indian Army had launched a top-secret investigation to find spies who may have leaked the mission, but a week had gone by and they had made zero progress. They needed to eliminate the four remaining mercenaries within the next two weeks, or their deal with Neha Gill would be off the table.

If Neha Gill retracted her offer, that would mean that the 6th Military Region had failed.

Sidharth was not about to let a failure of this scale taint the reputation of the newly established 6th Military Region.

Deepak re-checked all his equipment and operating systems. Once he was sure all links to the GSAT-7 System had been cut off, he turned on the computer and connected to the hotel network.

A moment later, Rohit’s computer began to beep: this meant Deepak was trying to contact him.

Rohit heard it, and returned to his room with Shehnaaz’s laptop.

Shehnaaz followed him.

Rohit set Shehnaaz’s laptop down. He sat at his desk, turned on his computer, and opened the instant
messaging software that was beeping for his attention.

Deepak’s face appeared on the computer screen.

“Big Rohit, I just got your email. Oh hey, Sana—you’re still up?” Deepak had noticed Shehnaaz’s small, delicate face in his video feed.

“I have something to tell you, Brother Deepak.” Shehnaaz’s expression was solemn, her face drawn tight with worry. “Is Uncle Sid there?”

“I’m here. Go on.” Sidharth appeared behind Deepak, his arms folded across his chest.

Shehnaaz composed herself. She explained to them about her program and the experiments she had conducted, and then presented her laptop to the camera. “Look, these are
the reflected signals my receiver picked up. They’re a lot stronger than the signals I tried to bounce off the satellite myself.”

Deepak wasn’t an expert for nothing.

He had barely glanced at her laptop screen before realizing the truth of the situation. He brought his fist down on his computer desk and shouted, “I’ll be d*amned—there is a problem! Who’s messing with us?! The daring of it! How did they do it?”

“This means that whoever’s sending these signals to the GSAT-7 System is doing it near where you live, right? Can you find out where?” Sidharth had seen at once what was important about these signals, and was now asking the crucial questions.

Shehnaaz nodded vigorously. “I think it’s from nearby, too, but we still don’t know exactly where—”

“I know just the place!” Rohit had a sudden epiphany.

He had visited the area in question, not too long ago, while he’d pretended to be a tourist.

“Where?” Both Deepak and Shehnaaz asked at the same time.

“Harvard University’s School of Electronic Engineering,” said Rohit, carefully. “That’s the only place in the vicinity with the equipment and the brains to send the sort of probing signals we’re talking about.”

“That may be it!” said Shehnaaz in a hushed voice. “The School of Electronic Engineering is just opposite Harvard Law School. I can head there tomorrow morning and see what’s up, if you like.”

Deepak and Rohit objected to this.

Deepak said, “No. You’re out of your depth. Let Big Rohit go instead.”

Sidharth ignored them; he took hold of the mouse and opened a few programs on Deepak’s computer. He spent a brief moment looking at the screen, before saying to Shehnaaz: “Sana, go check out the School of Electronic
Engineering, but don’t bring any equipment with you. See if there’s anyone suspicious, and ask what kind of experiments they’re running. Remember not to draw any attention to yourself.”

This was the first time Sidharth had asked Shehnaaz to do something as important as this for him. She nodded, giddy with excitement. “Understood! I’ll go tomorrow. You can count on me!”

“Stay on guard, and be quick about it.” Sidharth looked at his watch. “You only have 24 hours. I expect you to find out what’s going on by this time tomorrow—can you do it?”

Shehnaaz did not hesitate. “No problem!”

Once the video call was over, Deepak voiced his objections. “Sir, Sana isn’t part of the Special Ops. This is too dangerous for her, surely.”

Sidharth had tapped out a new cigarette, and was now idly toying with it with his fingers. He said expressionlessly, “It’s fine. It would be more risky for Big Rohit to do it.”

Shehnaaz was not only an exchange student at Harvard University, but also a young, innocent-looking girl.

If something fishy was going on over at the School of Electronic Engineering, Shehnaaz would have an easier time spotting the signs.

*
*
*
I hope you enjoy reading it.
Love you all.