three

dallas, tx

taylin rivers

"And how is that going?"

My dad smiled through the FaceTime call. "Really well. I think we're about to get everything settled some time today."

"Da, that's amazing!"

My dad has been trying to get into the trucking business for the past four years, and things were finally starting to look up for him. He bought an 18-wheeler at the beginning of the year, and has put so much money into it to make it look and run the way it does now.

He has been reaching out to so many companies, and he finally got a hit. A long-haul cargo business reached out to him, willing to pay him a good sum of money up front to make a deal with them.

"I know, princess, I'm honestly so excited."

I grinned back at my dad. "Where's Cayleb gonna be while you're on the road?"

"Cayleb actually wants to go on the road with me. We even started getting him set up for virtual schooling, but your mom is starting to disagree now."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course she is. She hates to see Cayleb wanting to live his life with anybody but her."

"I'm just gonna pray about it, and hope that she will realize she should allow Cayleb to do what he feels is best for himself."

"It's not like you're forcing him on the road with you and taking him out of school. He wants to go and you want to make sure he finishes school, even if it is virtually."

My dad scoffed. "She doesn't care what Cayleb wants, and she damn sure doesn't care what I want. You know your mother, she thinks she has it all figured out."

"And when her mind is made up, there's nothing anyone else can do or say to change it."

That's exactly why she kicked me out.

~

When I turned eleven, my mom was dating a guy named Walt. He didn't live with us, but he was at our house pretty often. I wasn't allowed to do anything after school so I would have to go straight home while my brothers would be attending after school activities.

A lot of those days, Walt would be there while my mom was working. In the beginning, Walt was really cool and we got along really well but things changed when I started to hit puberty, and my body started to change.

I would notice him watching me, he would walk into the bathroom while I was taking a bath and pee right in front of me or he would "accidentally" walk into my room while I was changing. Telling my mom never did anything because she would tell me that I was just looking for attention so eventually I just stopped telling her things and started keeping it to myself.