Eight.

A/N- Another long chapter 😁
buckle up, cuz this one's a doozy

"Alright, now you wanna hook up the arc reactor to the repulsor so you can shoot out of it. Careful to only use the blue wire, not the black one. If you use the black one, all of the power from the arc reactor will go to that one repulsor, so you won't be able to use it for anything else," Tony explained as he pointed to various spots on the machinery.

"Mhm, got it, got it. Hook up the power orb to the hand laser, but only use one wire, so I can actually power the rest of my suit. Now that I got that down, how do I add music to the suit?" Y/N asked eagerly. Tony chuckled at Y/N's excited attitude.

"How 'bout you focus on one thing first, okay kiddo? Then we can talk about a music add-on. I'm going to grab some more materials, you keep working on that repulsor," Tony instructed while he patted Y/N on the back. Y/N let out a small 'okay' as she began to tinker with the repulsor once more.

Y/N spent the next half hour trying to create the perfect amount of power to use with the repulsor. The process had lots of trial and error, but Y/N made sure to be patient. That was one of the main things Tony had taught Y/N- patience. Without it, Tony probably would never have become the man and the legendary hero he is today.

Finally, after a very boring hour, Y/N thought that she just had it. She held her hand up to the concrete testing wall while preparing to shoot it. She quickly closed her eyes as she felt a strong blast come out of the repulsor that covered her hand. Opening her eyes, Y/N found the previously blank wall to have a medium-sized dent in it. Her eyes widened as a large smile formed on her lips.

"Uncle Tony, Did you see that?" Y/N asked excitedly as her eyes stayed glued to the wall. "I did it! The repulsor worked!"

Y/N waited for a response from Tony, but she got nothing. "Uncle Tony?" She tried again, but still no response. The world started to fade into black as Y/N searched for her uncle.

"Uncle Tony! Where are you?!" She asked again as she looked around frantically. Finally, Y/N stopped as she saw Tony wounded and slumped against a large piece of debris. His eyes were lifeless, and it seemed like half of his body was covered in ash. She sprinted towards him, hoping that what she thought was going to happen, wasn't.

"No..." Y/N whispered under her breath. "No, no, no, not again." She kneeled next to her nearly dead uncle as his arc reactor flickered on his chest.

"Uncle Tony," Y/N choked up as her eyes filled with tears. "Uncle Tony, we still haven't finished building my suit. You can't die yet!"

Tony slightly moved his head to look at his helpless niece. The corners of his lips curved slightly upwards into a smile. This made her cry even more.

"Uncle Tony," Y/N sobbed out. "Please don't die. The Avengers need you. The whole world needs you. You're not allowed to die until we celebrate with shawarma one more time."

"Y/N," Tony whispered. "Don't dwell on the past... Move on..."His smile slowly faded as the arc reactor dimmed, and eventually went out.

Y/N let out a scream of terror as her body shot up into a sitting position. A loud beep from a machine sounded as she probably unplugged something. She glanced around the room confused to see her parents, Lila, and Cooper all looking at her worriedly.

"Woah, woah, woah, careful," Clint eased as he slowly layed Y/N down on to the bed. Immediately, Y/N pulled herself back to the sitting position. Suddenly, a nurse rushed in as he plugged the machine back into the socket.

"Are we all good here? Y/N, how are we feeling?" The nurse asked as he regained his composure.

"Um, um, good..." Y/N said, still recovering from her nightmare. Finally noticing her shoulder brace, she remembered what happened. I just got surgery, Y/N concluded in her mind. While she brought her hand up, she noticed a bandage on her nose bridge. Poking it made it hurt immensely.

"Careful there. The doctor found a ruptured blood vessel near your nose. If he didn't find it, it could've been fatal," The nurse explained. Y/N was still taken back from her nightmare, so she just nodded her head.

"I'll let you have a moment with your family," He smiled as he left the room. Looking back at her family, Y/N noticed that Nathanial and Kate weren't in the room.

"W-where's Nathan and Kate?" Y/N asked wyrley, not entirely down to earth. Her family could see the worry and sacredness in Y/N's eyes.

"They're both at home. Kate's looking at your brother," Laura said tenderly. It was the first time Y/N looked directly at her mother since she got back from her mission. And the first time she realized how wrong of her was to leave her family on Christmas day. Y/N knew how important
they all were to each other, and she couldn't imagine the worry of their faces. What once made her grimace, now made a chill of regret run down her body.

"I-I..." Y/N tried to speak as her eyes brimmed with tears. She swallowed hard to get rid of the lump in her throat.
"I'm sorry," She managed to choke out as a few tears ran down her cheeks. Clint looked at his daughter with sympathy, but Y/N avoided his gaze.

Crying was something Y/N hated to do, especially in front of people. It made her look weak and vulnerable, so she tried her best to block it out and never feel it. But today, of all days, it all came out. Sob after sob, Y/N hated every minute of it. She hated the concerned looks her family gave her, she hated the way her nose would get all stuffed up, and she hated how her eyes would be red and puffy, so even if she cried alone, everyone would still know she cried. Kate was the only person Y/N allowed for her guard to be down around. Otherwise, it was miserable.

Get yourself together, Y/N thought as she tried to slow her breathing. Eventually, her tears stopped and she was able to clearly see her family. The stare that she hated ever so much, the reason Y/N hated to show her emotions to people. It made her angry to see people looking at her like she was a little puppy that needed protecting. Of course, Y/N knew how to hide her emotions, but handle them, not so much.

"Are you all gonna just sit there and pretend I didn't just bawl my eyes out, or are you guys gonna say something," Y/N said extremely passive aggressively. That snapped her family out of their trance of pity.

"You shouldn't be talking," Lila shot back, voice full of anger and hurt. "You left on Christmas day, ignored all of our calls, came back with a fractured shoulder, and still no explanation!"

Y/N let out a long exhausted sigh. "Well, this is gonna be hard to explain again..." Y/N looked down at her fidgeting hands as she began to explain her situation again. It was a short explanation, and her family could tell that she didn't want to elaborate, so they left her alone. She leant back in her reclined bed as she closed her eyes, wanting to go back to sleep, but also not at the same time.

While opening one eye and glancing towards her father, Y/N asked, "What time is it?"

Clint glanced at his watch before answering.
"Noon," He replied dryly.

Y/N thought about the dream. That's not what happened, when Y/N went to see Tony, he didn't say anything. Maybe he was talking to me through my dream, She wondered. Nah, that kind of stuff only happens in stories. But then again, I live in a world where wizards, aliens, and time travel exist.

Y/N spent so long thinking about how weird her reality was that she must've fallen asleep because when she woke up, it was nighttime and her family was gone. While letting out a long, and tired sigh, she searched her bedside tables for her phone. Luckily, she found it there. It had been put on silent for her entire trip, so when she turned it on, there was a parade of messages left unread. She chuckled while scrolling through every single message, but didn't bother replying. She turned her phone off once again, and went right back to sleep.

Word count: 1433