Day 5 - Hard Winter - Volta

"Oh dear, oh no, no, no,"

    The wee Procurator scurried across the manor, anxiety ripe in her eyes. This winter was going poorly for her, as a sudden cold had swept through Vesuvia and had slain many of her crops. She had taxed what food the Countess would allow from the peasantry, but all this new talk of fairness and equality had really taken its toll on that.

    The servants had all hidden away, out of fear that small, puny Volta might *do* something. The Procurator would never hurt her servant-friends, well, except maybe a few little "messes" and "accidents". In lieu of lesser company, she decided to invite some of her friends for a winter potluck.

    A rapping on the door, who could it be? The bundled up demon rushed to greet her first guest.

    "Oh! Greetings, sweetest and kindest Countess!"

    "Hello, Volta, may I-"

    "Did the Countess bring poor, hungry Volta anything to eats??"

    "Of course,"

    Nadia turned to her entourage, signaling for them to begin bringing in all that she had brought. Volta stared wide-eyed and open-mouthed at the buffet marching before her. It took all her willpower not to eat everything immediately. Since the Devil had been defeated though, she found it was relatively easier.

    "I've also brought you a gift, dear,"

    The Countess pulled a small bowl of candied flowers out from her satchel and handed it to Volta. Her good eye gleamed with joy and she quickly scarfed down all the candy, and the bowl. Nadia pat the Procurator's head, before entering the dining room.

    Volta barely had a moment to savor when a second knock struck her door. This time it was her bestest of bestest friends, her fellow Courtiers! Quaestor Valdemar and a bag of... something... walked in without a further introduction, followed by a bored-looking Consul Valerius and a bottle of Dukni Black Wine. Vlastomil was arguing with Vulgora about something or other, almost escalating into a fight were it not for the cold. Both of them despised it and when they realized the door was open, they quit their bickering and scrambled in.

    "Oh, Praetor, oh, Pontifex, how sweet to see you,"

    "SALUTATIONS, PUNY VOLTA, LEAD ME TO THE FOOD!"

    "Oh, yes, I brought spaghetti and would like to put it down,"

    Volta led them to the banquet, much to Nadia's displeasure. Valerius was sat beside her and had a look of disappointment, almost like he had hoped Vulgora and Vlastomil would have frozen out there. Valdemar simply stood, looking pleasantly out the window at all the frostbitten world outside. Vulgora pulled a tray of loaded baked beetles out from seemingly thin air and plopped it onto a blank spot among the rest of the food. Vlastomil sat his giant bowl of cold, sauceless spaghetti on a plate of appetizers with a look of pride.

    Another knock and Volta had to hurry back to the door. She was greeted now by Portia, Julian, and Muriel. Muriel said nothing, simply pouting with a blush as he handed the Procurator a homemade cookie, slightly burnt and very herby. Portia and Julian pitch in to the potluck a great cauldron of Mazelinka's magic stew. They carry it to the table as well.

    Volta squeals with anticipation. She hasn't had this much food in oh so long. Drool trickles down her chin, hunger welling within her. The final guests should arrive very-

    Knock knock, once more. Who other than Asra and their apprentice?

    "Hello, Procurator,"

    "Hello, Magician Asra and sweet y/n,"

    She hopped up to peck a kiss upon your cheek and brought you and Asra to the long-awaited dinner. Asra brought smoked skinks and you brought your special (favorite food).

    As the evening dresses in its finest night gown, the potluck becomes vibrant and jovial. Vulgora doesn't even start too many fights. The midnight hour strikes and Volta raises a glass to all her friends. Perhaps this won't be such a hard winter after all.

~~~~~~
Sorry this was so short, not been in much of a writing mood as of late :(