Chapter 2

Wednesday

Hana's apartment- 10:27 p.m.
-------------------
Hana

I've just about finished packing up my apartment. As I move to the living room to pack the small things up until the movers arrive, I realize that I haven't made proper space to pack my parent's and Souta's things. There were small altars I had for them to celebrate their death anniversaries. I pondered for a moment, then put their pictures in a box and let the work calls distract me from dealing with lingering in the past. It was the future, and I needed to move on.
-----------------
Thursday

Highrise Apartments- 3:30 p.m.
-----------------
???- Akito

There's commotion outside. I roll out of my unmade bed and check the time on my phone. It's 10 a.m. and I think, 'Shit, it's late.' I open the curtains and notice a moving truck parked just outside the building. I squint and notice a tall, familiar woman hop out of the truck, and I'm mesmerized for a few seconds until my thoughts are stopped by the sound of meowing.

I look down and realize that all I have on is an old pair of sweatpants. I throw on an old sweater and walk to the living room, where my cat, Benji, is meowing at his empty food bowl. "Alright Benji, time for food, I'm sorry for oversleeping buddy." I say while patting his head. I throw the food into his bowl, take a seat and start checking my phone. I open my email app and notice a new email from Takamoto Tech. I open it, and read the contents.

'From: takamototech@*mail.com
To: akitotakahashi@*mail.com

Takamoto Staff welcomes our new addition to our Tokyo branch, Hana Sato.

She received a promotion from the Ikebukuro Branch and is an exceptional addition to our excellent staff.

Please be courteous to her these first few starting weeks.

Jiro Takamoto
CEO
Takamoto Tech

I open the attached photo of her and notice that her face, along with her name, are very familiar. I brush the thought off as I hear a cacophony of noises.

-----------------------------------

Outside my door, I hear loud knocking noises on the other side and look through the peephole. There, I see the movers being directed to place boxes around the door, and for a slight second, I see the new employee pass by, her short hair framing her face. I finally move from the peephole and start my day with a cup of coffee.

Finally getting down to business, I walk back into my bedroom and plop down on my desk chair and begin to work on a programming commission from a client, but my work is interrupted by the thought of who moved in.
I brush the thought away and try to continue my work, but it kept eating at me, so I threw a good black sweater on and a pair of sweatpants with white tennis shoes lying around. I walk to my living room and open my door slowly.

--------------------------------
New apartment 11 a.m.

Thursday
--------------------
Hana

I'm opening boxes and inspecting the contents when I hear a quick knock on my door. Hurrying to the door, I open it and immediately see a familiar face, but I perish the thought.
Seeming to break the awkward silence, he opens his mouth to speak and says, "Hey there, I'm. Takahashi Akito, a worker at the Tokyo Branch for a few years now." With a warm smile I reply, "Hello, my name is Sato Hana, and as I'm sure the email has said, I'm an employee from the Ikebukuro Branch." Suddenly his tone goes cold and he turns and says, "Well, okay. Have fun unpacking."

I'm confused when he returns to his apartment so blankly and I wonder what I've done to make him so cold. I return to my headphones, put them on, and resume packing.

---------------------
Hana's Apartment- 6:35 p.m.
------------------------
Hana

At this point, I've unpacked and cleaned what I could for the day, so I make a quick dinner and sit on my floor to eat. Thinking about the rest of my items that are yet to be moved, I eat in relative silence. After my meal, I quickly make my futon and start unpacking the altar items for both Souta and my parents. I know I need to move on, but the least I can do for them is make their altars.

I do this and as I'm finalizing my parents' altar, I hear a knock on my door. Expecting Akito, I reluctantly open the door, but instead of his cold face, I see a middle aged woman with a very warm smile and a plastic bag in her hands.
"Hello, my name is Fumiko! Very nice to be working with you! I had leftover ramen broth so I whipped some quick ramen for you! Please enjoy it." She said, as she practically shoved the bag onto me. Startled, but thankful for the gesture, I smile and say "Thank you! I'll be sure to enjoy it." With that, she leaves and I stash the food in the fridge and retire to my futon in the corner of my bedroom.