chapter 14 - the day you gave me your heart, i was still falling apart

Comenzar desde el principio

"What's that?" Before she could hide or explain the situation, Ricky was behind her, examining the "anonymous" gift. The realization creeped in slowly but surely. She looked at him to gauge his reaction and her heart dropped when he looked at her with that expression. It was the way he looked at her when she first told him about the incident.

"Ricky.."

"How does he know which flowers to buy?!" Ricky asked angrily, "These are your favorite."

"I don't know, Rick. I swear I've never said anything. I haven't talked to the guy since that day, I promise."

"He just knows you that well huh?"

"It's not like that."

Ricky disdainfully opened up the note attached to the flowers. Nini had no idea what was written on there, whatever it is it's bound to make her husband more agitated.

"Read that." Ricky said giving the note to her.

"I don't want to." Nini said shaking her head. She'd no reason to. "Can we just get rid of this stuff and talk?"

"Read it Nini. Out loud." Ricky's jaw was clenched and Nini thought his eyes were glassy, he was hurt.

Nini sighed. "Dear Nini, the time we spent together were some of the best. Look at what we made.. . "

"Keep reading, please."

"Look at what we made, b-babe. I can tell by the way you look at me and .. sing to me that you f-feel the same way."

"You sang to him?!" Ricky asked not holding back his tears. He was yelling now. "I thought that was our thing.."

"I was co-writing an album with him, I had to do some singing! And I didn't sing to or for him! I just pitched the songs I wrote." Nini tried to wipe away his tears but he pushed her away, "Ricky, please.."

"You keep telling me ... nothing happened and that you've stopped contacting him! But he's writing you love letters and sending your favorite flowers!" Ricky pulled at his curls in frustration. "You're driving me crazy!"

"It's the truth! Nothing happened! I told you he kissed me. He. Kissed. me. Not the other way around and I stopped it and walked away. I quit my job and I've not spoken to him since!"
Nini was yelling too now. It frustrated her to no end that he wouldn't believe her. "I can't speak for him Ricky. I can't tell you what he feels or thinks or why he's sending me this crap! But I can speak for myself, and I don't feel anything for him!"

"Stop! Stop saying the same things! I don't wanna hear it!" Ricky closed his ears. "I don't ever want-"

Ricky stopped himself when he saw the look in her eyes. He didn't want to say something that he'd regret. But it was too late. She'd heard it.

"Say it Ricky." Nini demanded. "Say it! so we can come full circle!"

She was referring to their first breakup. (a/n: first book) She can't believe he would go that far.

"Is that what you want?!" Ricky retaliated, "It is isn't it ?! You want to be free so you can go with him!"

"You're-"

"Mommy?" Joel soft sniffles drew Ricky and Nini out of their heated argument. "What's happening? Why are you guys yelling? Is daddy leaving again?"

In the heat of the moment they forgot their son was in the other room, and they'd probably gotten too loud.

"No baby. Of course not. It's okay bud, everything's okay." Nini came rushing to him and picked him up. "Mommy and daddy are sorry for scaring you. Mom and dad fight sometimes, okay? But we shouldn't have been so loud. We're just trying to figure things out, Joel."