Prologue

1 year ago

Hana's bedroom- 5:00 a.m.
----------------
Hana

*Phone abruptly rings*

I jolt up at the sound of my phone ringing, the lyrics of "Perfect-Area Complete" blasting in my ear. I pick my phone up from the nightstand, and blink at the brightness. The number is an unknown one. Skeptical, I pick up and hear clamoring in the background of the person's area. Suddenly, I hear the words: "Is this Souta's girlfriend?" "Why, yes, it is. Is there a problem?"

"I'm afraid to have to tell you this, but Souta was killed in an accident on the highway. We would like you to come to the hospital as quickly as you can to identify him."

My heart shatters, my breathing shallow.

"He's what? Dead? No no NO!"

"I'm very sorry to be the one to impart this news onto you."

Tears that threatened to escape finally cascade down my face, like a dam breaking, water flowing everywhere.

I hang up, jump out of bed, and immediately throw on a white t-shirt and black leggings from a pile on my desk chair. I haphazardly put on every light in my apartment, throw on a pair of sneakers, and pick my purse up. I pick my car keys up from the table and head out.

Driving as fast as I can without getting pulled over, I reach Tokyo Hospital.

--------------
Hospital- 5:33- 6:45 a.m.

I make a beeline to the doors of the hospital, frantic. He can't be dead, can he? We had our whole lives planned out and all of a sudden he was gone? Just like that?

As if on cue, a receptionist walked up to me and asked "Are you here for Keishiro-san? Just sign these few forms and follow me please Ms. Sato."

I signed the forms almost illegibly, not even bothering to read what was on them. I handed them back and the receptionist started making her way to the hall. I followed, hoping it wasn't the love of my life.

The receptionist reached to a door all the way at the end of the hall, and gestured to let me know to go in. Walking inside, the doctor looks up and says "Lovely to meet you Ms. Sato, though it is under less than favorable circumstances."

"Is it him? Please tell me it isn't him."

The doctor, with a somber look on his face, pulled the cover from over the body, and as soon as I had a clear view of its face, I knew that it was Souta. His lifeless grayish body lay there, and I was too stunned to speak. I gasped and slunk down to the ground, like the wind was knocked out of my lungs. It really was him. He was dead and I didn't know what to do with myself.

The doctor helped me up, and walked me back outside to the main area. "I really am sorry for your loss Ms. Sato, but is there a particular way you would like him to be sent out?"

"I'd like him to be cremated, if that's okay."

"Of course. We'll start contacting your insurance company. Again, I am truly sorry for your loss." And with those parting words, I was left alone in the main area. Walking out of the hospital, I felt a small piece of my soul leave me that morning.