85 - Feliz Cumpleaños

Start from the beginning

"Yep, the ones with the red tops,"

He nods, and with that, we break off to do our respective tasks, making sure everything is perfect before Robby gets here.

The doorbell rings just as I tighten the last screw on my gift. Gracias a Dios for quick-dry sealant, otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished. I stand up quickly, walking out to the main entrance, where Kenny already stands at the open door. Robby in the doorway. His grin widens when he sees me.

"Hey hermosa," he says, making me blush a little, "what's going on? Why'd you guys tell me to be here? Is everything okay?"

I can't help but grin. He sounds just like me. Asking if everything is okay first. Just like Mr LaRusso said he asked whenever I was gone...

"¡Feliz cumpleaños, mi corazón! I say, attacking him with a huge hug, "happy birthday."

He wraps his arms around me in return, seeming taken aback. The golden sound of his laughter warms my heart in a way that I didn't know I needed until this moment. It's been five days since Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang split, and things have just felt... dull. I haven't really talked to Mr LaRusso other than a 'hello' and 'goodbye'- contrary to the usual 'ciao's, 'salve's, and 'arrivederci's. He raised his voice at me in Italian... I hate when he gets onto me in Italian... it's a petty and probably pointless retaliation on my part, but I feel like it symbolizes something. This is nice. This feels safe.

"You remembered my birthday?" he asks as I let him go. ¿Qué? Of course I remembered. I've had it marked on my calendar ever since my own birthday. I've been waiting for this day- or, to celebrate his birthday- for months.

"Of course I remembered. I mean, I know it's actually on Monday, but I have school and work and karate that day, so today worked better," I say. Tomorrow would've worked too, but I specifically had today off from work because Mrs LaRusso is an angel sent from heaven, and I figured we could go back to my apartment after this and he could spend the night.

"Usually my mom just gives me fifty dollars and tells me to get whatever I want for dinner and maybe brings back a cake that she already ate part of in the car. This is... thank you, Park," Robby says, "and you too Kenny. You guys are the best."

"Parker made you a cake. I helped decorate it, come look," Kenny says, grabbing Robby's hand and leading him inside. I close the door behind them, then follow.

"She did the sides and I did the top. I did a snake for Cobra Kai. The balloons are for your birthday."

"This looks great. You didn't have to do all this for me," Robby says. And he didn't have to do anything for my birthday.

"We didn't have to, but we wanted to. You deserve a good birthday, cuore mio," I say in response, putting a light hand on his cheek. Considering his own dad didn't even show up for his birth, I'm guessing that birthdays aren't really his thing. I wanted to make this one good. He leans into my hand.