85 - Feliz Cumpleaños

Start from the beginning

"I think the cake should be cool by now. Wanna help decorate?" I ask. And Robby should be here in about an hour, so we need to get a move on.

"Yeah!"

——

"Es perfecto. Thanks for helping me out, Pollito," I say as we put the finishing touches on the cake. I put it in a safe place on the kitchen counter, then start cleaning up, washing out the various things we used to make the frosting and decorate with. We did a good job. I let Kenny decorate the top however he wanted and then I did the sides. Kenny's mom is really nice for letting us use the kitchen. Our one 'condition' is that we save her a piece of cake.

"Parker?" Kenny asks as I wash out a bowl. His tone sounds a little nervous.. is everything okay?

"¿Qué pasa?"

"I looked up what 'Pollito' means on Google and it said 'chick' or 'little chicken'... why do you call me that?" he asks. He doesn't sound hurt or annoyed, just curious. Still, my heart pangs.

"I can stop if you want, I'm sorry," I say. I have a reason. I'll explain if he wants, but if not, I won't go into it.

"No it's cool! I'm just curious, that's all," he says. I nod a little, drying off the bowl. I sigh. I use the nickname often. I think he deserves to know why.

"I call you that because it's what I called my little brother, Alejandro... he was around your age when he died... I said some things to him the last time I saw him that I would have never wanted to be the last things I said to him... he had been getting on my nerves, and then he said something about being glad to get away from me, so I said that I was glad I was finally gonna get a break from him... now there's nothing I wouldn't do to bring him back, even just for one more day... I couldn't save him. I couldn't protect him from what happened to him... but I feel like I can protect you. So uhm... yeah... that's- that's why I call you that," I say, not looking over at him the entire time.

I never thought that those would be my last words to him... with my mom, I knew it was coming. We all did. But with my brothers... I didn't know that when Alejandro kicked me in the shin and told me he was happy he wouldn't have to put up with me for a day that that would be the last time I would see him alive... I didn't know that when René hugged me tight and told me not to burn the house down while they were gone that he wouldn't come back to see if I had or not. It was too sudden...

"I kinda know what it's like.. losing a brother I mean. Not fully, because Shawn is just in juvie, but he's not here for me... and I get feeling bad too... it's my fault he's there... he was just trying to protect me... just like you. Thanks Parker. It's nice to have you and Robby looking out for me. I've never had a sister before," Kenny says. I can't help but smile.

"I've got your back, Pollito. I'll always look out for you," I say, "could you start getting out the stuff for dinner? The paint should be fully dry, I need to finish that gift."

"It's the stuff in the containers, right?"