\\Prologe - A Gruesome Death//

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you love the sea?

It's a funny question, isn't it? A simple and yet difficult one, to some it was an easy answer, being born near it, it was only natural to seek it out themselves, to challenge it, or to simply embrace it, but to others, it was more of a circumstantial question. What part of the sea? The depths where monsters rise or the top where humans rule? It was truly a difficult thing to ask, and sometimes it depends on who you are asking.
The sea is deep, it did not matter what your answer was, you don't know what it truly is or what is in it, and if you did, you'd run far away from it.

And yet there they were, all of them, fools who thrive on the thrill of such danger. All of those foolish captains and countless amounts of people underneath them, following their every lead. They all knew the ruthless tendencies of the sea, its temper, and wrath and yet they always faced it head-on. It always made her wonder why or how? How could one hold such bravery, to look at death in the eye and take it on as if it's nothing? Why couldn't she? No matter how many times she tried, it felt impossible, fear always paralyzed her.
Even now, even as she stared at that ship she felt it, it clung to her soul, desperate.

"Scared?"

A sudden voice awoke her from her trance, it made that fear cling even more than before as she gazed at the person that had just spoken. A sigh of relief escaped (Y/N) once she did recognize the features of a very, very familiar face, a newfound smile crept up, a little unexpected.

"Don't do that! This is scary enough as it is!"

"Heh, you're not even the one with the harpoon."

"You are not helping it."

The man just laughed a little, it was truly quite a sight to see a person who was born right next to the shore and yet is so deathly afraid of it. It was at that moment when he saw the
woman's eyes, they were somewhat sad, somewhat pitiful. That previous light feeling in the air felt now gone.

"Hey, you okay?"

"*sigh* What am I even doing here, Pyke?"

That stunned him, it felt somewhat of a rhetorical question of sorts but he still felt somewhat of an obligation to answer it, it felt urgent, somehow in some way. She sounded sad, even pitiful.

"I'm not cut out for this crew, I'm not brave, I'm not strong...
I'm just a coward, I'm scared to even get on the ship."

"Hey, hey slow down, who told you that?

"N-no one! It's just...you know, kind of obvious.

Pyke let out an annoyed sigh, it bothered him, quite deeply at that. Those words felt insulting, somehow even to him. He knew those were just some stupid words, they meant nothing, and yet they deeply stung.

"*sigh* Look, you're not in this crew cuz you're strong, you're here cuz you're smart. Hell, none of us can do half of the things ya do."

"Pff, yes you can."

"Right, if ya think I can be a damn nurse, sure."

"I'm not a nurse!"

"Ya kinda are."

A laugh escaped (Y/N) as she finally smiled, it felt warm and happy, he felt himself smile along, it felt somehow...nice.
The woman felt a hand grab a hold of hers, it made her heart race at an inhuman speed. Oh only if he knew what such a simple act could do.