\\Chapter 7: The Shadow Isles //

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the salty winds blew her hair in all directions, (Y/N) kept staring into the vast beyond, almost entranced. It wasn't that she looked for something, no, it was her mind that raced with all kinds of terrible thoughts, It was the bitter words the night before that rang in her head...

*"All you bring me is pain."*

*"You can't fix anything."*

*"You're lucky, if it wasn't for your captain, you would have been dead."*

It still echoed painfully in her mind. They didn't feel like a shock, no, it was expected to a certain degree. But it didn't stop her heart from aching, especially when she was on the same ship as him, every time she saw him, sweet memories filled her mind, only to be shattered into a million pieces, as he glared at her seemingly with hate. It wasn't exactly the best setting.
To top it all it didn't help how little she actually knew about the mess she managed to get herself into, although one word was familiar, and that was The Harrowing. She remembered the last one that happened a couple of years ago, vengeful spirits from The Shadow Isles that came in search of either revenge, blood, or the ones they'd lost.

(Y/N) felt her hands shake. She remembered that spirit from earlier...
If the Black Mist had returned, that would explain what happened to her, why those monsters clung to her so desperately. It was hard to not have your heart race or your hands shake once you've gazed at the horror of the Shadow Isles, it felt even worse when she knew they were sailing exactly towards them.

"(Y/N), you seem troubled."

The sound of a sudden voice made the woman turn her head, only to be met with the massive frame of the Bhuru Priestess.

"Um...well..."

The muscular woman leaned in on the railing beside (Y/N), simply awaiting an answer.
That is when the much smaller woman fell silent. She didn't know what to say, or if she wanted to say anything at all. It was difficult, she was hurting and yet she did not wish to share what history she had with The Blood Harbor Ripper.

A sudden question made her freeze on the spot.

"Is it Pyke?"

(Y/N) just fell silent as she did not wish to answer that question. Was she that obvious? Maybe it wasn't too hard to figure out when she was staring at him whenever he came on deck, or whenever they passed by each other below deck. But...she still didn't like this question. She didn't have to answer it.

"No."

Was the simple answer she gave to the priestess. Illaoi narrowed her eyes slightly, aware of the lie that had been fed to her and yet she did not protest against it. It was in the smaller woman's eyes, that much she could tell.

Silence befell the two women as they both gazed at the waters, moving against the ship.
Suddenly a still quiet but a little more calm voice broke the silence.

"Illaoi...When you said the Harrowing, does that mean that Gankplank is connected to it?"

(Y/N) wanted to change the topic. She didn't enjoy speaking of her past too much.
The truth bearer just closed her eyes as she spoke in a calm, accented voice.

"Sarah must have missed to tell you then."

(Y/N) just brought down her gaze to her hands as she listened to the priestess.

"Gangplank had caused the Black Mist to return."

The woman felt her eyes widen slightly at the statement. But...how? How did he manage to do such a thing?