Chapter 1: Arrivals

Start from the beginning

Sean stepped out of his room, scratching the side of his head. He was now mostly settled in, just had a few odds and ends to finish up, but that could wait until later. He looked down the hall to his right and saw that Anita and Silva were both gone. He saw the door to Ivory's room and walked towards it to check on her.
      "She's not in there, you know." said a female voice. Sean turned his head, his eyes making contact with a pair of blue eyes belonging to a shorter woman with black hair tied up in a bun. She was shorter than Sean was, maybe up to his shoulders, and dressed in all black.
      "What?" he asked, confused.
       "Your friend. She isn't in her room. She left a few minutes ago with Anita and Silva. Anita asked me to show you around since I was close by." the woman explained. Sean turned around fully and faced her, then walked back over.
       "You're Wraith, right? I remember seeing your last match just before Iv and I got here. That was quite a win." he pointed out, a smile on his face. Wraith stared at him, the smallest smile appearing on her face as she slowly stuck her hand out.
      "Wraith is only my name in the Arena. Call me, Renee." she replied.
        "Sean. It's nice to officially meet you, Renee." Sean answered as he shook her hand.
         "Come on, I'll show you around the complex. There's a lot to see." Renee stated as she began to walk away, and Sean had no choice but to follow the Voidwalker. She showed him the Workshop where Ramya was neck deep in her work, the training area, where he saw quite a few of the other Legends training, but he knew he would get to know them as time went on, whether he was fully looking forward to it or not. Truthfully, he could barely keep his excitement contained as Renee continued to show him around, even showing him the labs, where he saw another familiar Legend, Caustic, working on one of his gas traps for the next match. She eventually led him outside to a massive area that overlooked a body of water, simulated with carved rocks, massive bones from a Leviathan, and several target dummies and moving target panels.
            "Welcome to the Firing Range. You'll rarely ever see it empty. This is where you'll be able to learn which weapons suit your fighting style. You can use any sort of combination in weaponry that you want, but it's recommended that you normally don't use two weapons with the same ammo type. We do have one more stop to make, but while we're here, let's see how well you shoot." Renee stated, and Sean walked over to the gun wall, looking at the vast arsenal of weaponry that he had at his disposal. His eyes scanned through them, until his eyes locked on to a Sentinel, a bolt action sniper rifle.
            "Hm. Nice choice, only question is...how good is your aim?" asked Renee, crossing her arms. Sean smirked and loaded a full clip into the back of the sniper, grabbing a scope as well. As soon as the scope came close to the body of the sniper, it swirled around his hand and attached itself to the Sentinel.
           "What the...?" asked Sean, very confused.
         "Nanotech. All the laser sights, stocks, barrel stabilizers, and hop-ups are made of Nanotech. Makes them easier to swap out or attach when in a fight or just looting." Renee explained as Sean grabbed a couple Shield Cells from the shelf, popping the caps off and using the coils to amplify the Sentinel's power.
         "You know how to amp the Sentinel already. Good, that's one less thing you need to learn then. Let's see how well you can shoot. Fire when ready, Sean." Renee proclaimed, and Sean smiled as he looked down the scope and aimed with the Sentinel. He locked onto one of the many targets in the range, and fired; the shot striking perfectly.
         "Congrats. You hit a perfect shot on your first try. Now do it with the whole mag." Renee muttered, unimpressed. Sean smirked, and looked down the scope again, letting himself breathe in, and then exhale as he fired each shot; 6 rounds, 6 headshots, with one shot left.
        "6 for 6 so far, okay not bad. But this last one determines it." said Renee, almost sounding impressed. Sean smiled at her then looked down the scope one more time, ready to prove himself. As he lined up the last shot, he heard footsteps approaching rapidly, followed by a shout of excitement.
        "Renee!!!!" a voice shouted as someone tackle-hugged Renee. Sean looked away, accidentally squeezing the trigger and firing the last shot, missing by a significant margin. Sean sighed and stood up straight as he looked towards Renee, eager to scold whoever just interrupted him; but he couldn't speak once he saw who had just arrived. Renee was hugging another woman, who was slightly taller. She had blue eyes like him, short blond hair, and wore several heavy layers of jackets, along with a pair of blue insulated gloves and boots.
        "Hey, Wattson. It's nice to see you out of your lab for once." Renee smiled, while Wattson just laughed softly.
         "Oh, but you know me by now, mon ami. I'm always working on something!" she exclaimed.
       "Have you eaten today? Or rested at all?" Renee asked, and Wattson nodded with a warm smile.
       "I have, Renee. Don't worry about me, I'm fine." she replied, still smiling. Her gaze suddenly moved to Sean, and their eyes met.
       "Oh. Who's this, Renee?" she asked curiously. Sean extended his hand towards her, smiling awkwardly.
       "Hi. I'm Ig-Sean!! I'm Sean...I'm one of the new Legends. My best friend, Ivory and I just got here a little bit ago." he explained, introducing himself. Wattson giggled as she shook his hand gently.
        "Hello, Ig-Sean. I heard there were two new Legends arriving today. I hope that you'll fit in with the rest of us quickly!" said Wattson, clapping her hands softly.
        "Yeah, me too. My best friend and I talked about this for months before we got here." he replied, thinking about the journey here.
          "The journey is always the hardest part. But the destination is always worthwhile." Wattson encouraged before she turned back to Renee.
         "I must get back to my lab. My work won't finish itself, you know." she laughed, a sound that made Sean's chest tighten out of nowhere.
          "What are you working on, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I can help out, I know my way around technology pretty well." he offered politely. Wattson however, shook her head.
          "I appreciate the offer, but non, I must politely decline." she answered.
            "Wattson is the kind of girl who likes to handle her tasks alone. She has a very specific way of  doing things." Renee explained, and Sean nodded in understanding.
            "I see, and I completely understand. I apologize if I offended you, Wattson." he said apologetically. Wattson chuckled and shook her head, her smile still directed at him.
           "You have nothing to apologize for, mon ami. It's no trouble at all." she replied, giving Renee another hug before skipping off.
           "It was nice to meet you, Ig-Sean. I hope to see you around the complex!" she exclaimed.
           "Yeah...you too, Wattson." Sean replied, but she was already back inside, the door closing behind her. Renee chuckled next to him as she shook her head.
               "I'm gonna give you some free advice Sean, since you're new around here." she exclaimed, which made Sean confused.
                  "Um...okay?" he replied as Renee looked him in the eyes.
             "You seem like a smart guy. So I doubt you would do this anyway...but if you ever try to hurt her..." Renee trailed off. Sean didn't have time to even process a reaction before Wraith grabbed his arm and judo flipped him over her shoulder onto the ground. He coughed and groaned with pain as Renee dropped to her knees, pulling a Kunai from behind her back and pressing the blade against his throat.
              "You will have every single one of us to deal with. Except for maybe two, but trust me, you'll live longer if you follow my advice." she declared. Sean nodded ever so slightly, nervous to even take a breath.
             "Consider me warned, Renee..." he replied, and the Voidwalker seemed satisfied with his reply. She put her Kunai away and helped him to his feet, dusting herself off.
             "Good. Now, we know you can aim, we know you can fight. There's just one last thing to clear up; the limits of your abilities in the games. But first, we need to know what they are. So show me what you've got." Renee explained. Sean smiled, this was what he had been looking forward to. He grabbed a thermite grenade and walked a safe distance away from Renee, smiled, and threw it at his feet. Renee looked at him in shock as he stood in the flames, completely unharmed until the flames faded.
              "I'm fireproof. Can't get burned by fire, but can still take damage from other ordnance you guys have got. My second passive will further add on to that, because when I step through fire...I can do this!" he shouted with a smile as he took off, running a complete lap around the shooting range before skidding to a stop in front of Renee.
            "Superspeed, with fire. I'll be able to get a speed boost for 5 seconds once I run through fire in a match. My "tactical" ability will be this." he explained as he summoned fire to his hands and threw them at a target close by. The fire stayed on the ground, then shot up in intensity for a few seconds before dying back down on its own.
          "I'll be able to shoot two of those to block an opponents path, make it difficult for them to see, and do damage to defensive perimeters or other Legends. Each one has a 15 second charge time once used, so I gotta use them sparingly." he added on. Wraith seemed genuinely impressed now, which caught Sean by surprise.
            "You've really thought this out haven't you? Good, that makes it much less annoying to teach. Now, what about your Ultimate?" she replied, crossing her arms. Sean smiled and pointed to the sword strapped to his back.
            "This is my Ultimate." he explained no as he pulled the sword off of his back, then stabbed it into the ground. He felt his fire channel through the blade and unleash itself, a wave of flame spreading across the front of the shooting range, and stopping before the second row of targets.
             "Eruption slows others down, does extra damage to defensive gear, and damage to other Legends. It'll last for 10 seconds before having to recharge again, with a charge time of 2 minutes and 30 seconds. The radius of the blast could get higher, but I can't risk it cause I don't want to burn myself out." Sean explained. Renee looked like she wanted to ask him something else, but she hid it well.
           "Alright then. Seems like you've got your abilities all figured out, then. That's good, that's very good. You made the right choices by coming up with these limits on your own." she pointed out, a small smile escaping her.
         "Thank you, Renee. You know....I'm kinda surprised." he exclaimed.
               "Why are you surprised?" she asked, her eyes narrowing slightly.
         "You seemed...really cold when I first saw you, but I was surprised to be wrong. You're actually...really nice." he pointed out. Renee didn't seem to take this well, because she scowled at him.
              "There is one more place to show you, and there might be some more Legends in there for you to meet. Feeling up to it?" she asked, and Sean nodded eagerly, following Renee back inside, confused as to why her attitude suddenly changed.