Chapter 1: Arrivals

Sean awoke from his sleep as the truck he was riding in hit a bump and came to a stop. He looked around and saw they had finally arrived at their destination. He looked out the window and saw the massive facility that would be their new home, with The Syndicate's insignia embroidered on the tallest point of the building. The truck suddenly lurched forward, driving past the armed gate and pulling up to the main entrance. The driver stopped the truck and waited silently, staring at the duo in the backseat. Sean smiled and looked over at his best friend, who was still asleep.
         "Iv...Iv! Wake up..." he whispered, but his best friend didn't stir. He laughed softly, and gently shook her by the shoulder.
        "Ivory...we're here. It's time to wake up." he repeated, a little bit louder this time. Ivory moaned and groaned as her blue eyes opened.
         "You're a jerk, you know that, Sean? I was really enjoying the dream I was having." she pouted, rubbing her eyes, her blond hair messy on one side from sleeping.
        "I'm sorry, I would've let you sleep, but we're here. And the driver doesn't look like he'll wait forever." he mentioned with a chuckle.
        "Fineeee...let's go." Ivory complained as she opened her door and got out of the truck. The bed of the truck opened up, and the two best friends grabbed their suitcases out of the truck.
        "You were dreaming about her, weren't you?" Sean asked, which Ivory replied with a nod.
        "Yep, I was thinking about the night that Ink and I...you know..." she replied, blushing. Sean smiled and gently patted his best friend's shoulder.
         "I know Iv...I'm still so happy for you and Ink. You two....you really are perfect for each other." he replied, to which Ivory responded by flipping her hair and smirking.
          "I know, I am pretty perfect, aren't I?" she asked. Sean rolled his eyes and gently shoved her as the duo walked towards the entrance to the complex.
          "Even though I'm certain she is still a bad influence on you, Iv." Sean retorted, which earned him a punch on the arm.
         "Oh? You mean like how I became better at-" she began to say, but Sean quickly cut her off.
          "I'm not even going to let you finish that thought Ivory, come on..." he grumbled as the two walked up the front steps and up to the metal door.
            "So, who's your favorite Legend that you've seen compete?" asked Ivory skeptically.
            "My favorite? Iv, don't you think that's an odd question? Considering that soon we'll be eating, training, and living with them? While also fighting them in an arena?" Sean replied, thinking in his mind why she would ask something like that.
           "No. Does it look like I care though?" she asked, a smirk on her face, her piercing sky blue eyes staring up at him.
           "Ivory, I have only ever seen you care about a few things since we met and became friends. Having fun, getting into fights, messing with me in your spare time, and of course, Ink." he answered with a smirk of his own.
           "Exactly. Now answer the question, dumbass." Ivory snickered with amusement.
            "Okay, fine. Bloodhound, I've always thought that they were seriously cool. Their respect for mythology and hunting with honor was always very fascinating to me." he replied honestly.
             "Valkyrie or Wraith for me. They're just way too fucking cool." Ivory answered, almost instantly.
            "Gee, I wonder why you think that..." Sean teased, and Ivory punched his left arm as the two stopped directly in front of the door. There was a small bar with a laser circulator inside above the door, and it turned on as they got close.
           "Stand by for identification scan." said an automated voice as the laser spread out and scanned the duo. The laser finished scanning them, then flashed green.
           "Welcome, Ivory Black. Welcome, Sean Hawthorne. You may enter the complex." the automated voice droned as the door slid open in front of them. Sean and Ivory exchanged a look, both equally impressed by the security measures in the place so far. The two of them stepped inside and saw several of the Legends talking, but all of them fell silent when Sean and Ivory entered. The duo stared around, until one of them walked over. She had dark skin, short black hair, and a scowl on her face.
           "You two must be the new Legends we were told about. I'm Anita, but you'll know me as Bangalore in the arena." she explains, extending a hand. Sean shook it firmly, then gestured to himself and Ivory.
           "I'm Sean, and this is my best friend." he explained, and Ivory shook Anita's hand.
             "Ivory, Ivory Black." she announced. Anita's expression didn't change, she just shook her hand and gestured for them to follow.
        "I'll show you guys to your rooms, then I'll show you around the complex. There's a lot you two are gonna have to learn." said Anita bluntly as she started walking away. Sean quickly followed her, with Ivory rolling her eyes and following as well. The two followed Anita down a long hallway, until she stopped, and pointed to some doors.
        "Sean, that's gonna be your room," she explained as she gestured to the door directly to her right.
         "Ivory. Yours is gonna be 3 down and on the left. They've both got plenty of space, so you don't have to worry about it being cramped." Anita explained.
         "I was about to ask about that. Also, are we allowed to decorate the room?" Ivory asked. Anita stared at Ivory with a deadpanned expression.
         "It's your room. You're allowed to do whatever you want with it. Just make sure not to blast music at 3 in the damn morning, like some of the others around here..." she muttered, just as someone ran past them at high speed, nearly knocking them over. Anita wasn't fazed in the slightest as the person ran by, however Sean was very surprised as a socket wrench went flying past his face. He turned his head and saw a girl walking towards them, an annoyed look on her face.
           "What have I told ya about touching my tools, Silva?" she asked as she walked past him. The girl wore almost all orange, with a teal shirt underneath her orange jacket with a sarcastic looking cat on it that left her stomach exposed, a shoulder pad on her left shoulder, elbow pads, a knee pad on her right leg, an insulated glove on her right hand, wrist guard on her left wrist which covered some kind of tattoo, and yellow and white sneakers.
            "Okay, come on! Even you have to admit that was funny, Ramya!" Silva shouted as he laughed, looking at her upside down as he lay on the floor, metal parts scattered near him. It took Sean a second to fully realize that the two that had just entered were two of his fellow Legends, Rampart and Octane. Octane was a skinny guy with prosthetic legs, wearing green, gray, and white shorts, a white vest that was ripped around the stomach area, a black ripped up t-shirt, and a pair of goggles on his head with green lenses. He also wore a breathing mask, some kind of rain cap, some kind of modified Dialysis kit around his waist, and had tape wrapped around his upper bicep and lower forearm on his right arm. On the left arm, was a tattoo that said in large, all black lettering "PLUS ULTRA" which according to what Sean remembered from seeing his brief moments in the Games, was part of his catch phrase.
           "Funny or not, ya don't touch my tools unless you want a beating. Stupid Plonker.." Ramya muttered as she grabbed a wrench out of his hands and stood up straight, noticing Sean and Ivory for the first time.
           "Who are these two?" she asked.
          "They're the new Legends that arrived today. This is Sean, and Ivory." Anita explained. Ramya tilted her head with a wild grin, her sideways ponytail dangling towards the ground.
           "Haha, new faces! Sweet!!!" she exclaimed as she walked over.
            "Pleasure, mates! Ramya Parekh, best mechanic in the Outlands!" she exclaimed proudly.
           "That's actually really funny, because Sean is also a mechanic. He knows his way around any tool, any project, anytime. But he's also a Hothead." Ivory joked.
           "Iv! Come on!" Sean exclaimed as he glared at her. She just shrugged with a smirk.
          "What? It's true!" she laughed.
          "Oh you're a mechanic eh?? Ha, good. That means I can charge ya extra for mods to ya gear." Ramya joked smugly. Sean rolled his eyes at their antics, while he was used to it from Ivory, having Ramya do it after they just met was kinda annoying.
          "Haha, well I'm off to my shop. Thanks for the laughs, mates." said Ramya as she walked off without another word.
          "Octane, pick yourself off the floor already. You have a room, use it." Anita ordered, but the Adrenaline Junkie stayed where he was.
         "Why you gotta be such a buzzkill, amigo? I was just having a little fun with Ramya." he scoffed.
         "You stole her tools, what did you think was gonna happen?" Anita asked, before turning to the two new arrivals.
         "This goofball right here is Octavio Silva, but you probably know him as Octane. He's the..." Anita said as she trailed off, trying to find a good word to describe him.
         "The Daredevil? The Octrain? Certified badass?" Octane offered.
         "More like Comedic Relief, and even that's pushing it." Anita corrected, which made Ivory chuckle.
            "Hey! Come on! It's not my fault you can't see how awesome I am!" Octane complained, but Anita shook her head and looked towards Sean and Ivory.
           "You two go on, get settled into your rooms. Once you're ready, I'll have some of the other Legends show you around the place, show you where everything is, and then we'll all meet up in the mess hall for dinner, as long as they don't call us for a match." Anita explained. Ivory smirked and fist bumped her best friend, which Sean reciprocated before she walked off to her room, while Sean just walked through the door to his. He looked around the room, and saw it was very decently sized, like Anita had described. There was a walk in closet, a full bathroom, a large bed big enough for two, which Sean didn't see why. There was a dresser for all his clothes, a desk near his bed, which he really liked, since he did like to tinker and sketch, and a small bedside table as well.
          "I really think I'm gonna love it here..." he thought to himself as he began to unpack.