Chapter nineteen: Family discussion

Start from the beginning

There was a click in confirmation and the door unlocked, sounding like a death sentence in my ears.

Martin opened the door and held it open as we all piled in, and I immediately spotted Jo sitting with her back to me as soon as I passed the threshold. She was sitting on the leather couch that sat in front of her fathers polished black desk, and I could hear her sniffling audibly.

Oh no.

I looked over at Sara with wide eyes, only to see her already staring at me with a cautious expression.

The door shut, and we were led to the couch and I automatically sat closer to Jo who sat against the left arm rest. I looked at her, spotting a few stray tears streaming down her rosy cheeks, and I itched to give her a hug but instead settled on taking her hand in mine, squeezing it softly.

"Are you okay?" I mumbled.

She didn't answer, only turned to lean closer to me while shooting me a look I knew all too well.

We fucked up.

Sara sat down close to my other side, and I turned to see her gaze focused straight ahead, apprehension clear on her guarded expression. Reluctantly, I followed her eyes and immediately tensed, catching sight of Martin sitting in his massive chair behind his desk, Joel and Kyle standing on his right, and Gina on his left with her hand resting on his shoulder.

I had to stop myself from shrinking away, I could barley deal with Joels no-nonsense eyes alone.

I suddenly felt a strong sense of déjà vu.

"Do any of you have anything to say for yourselves?" Martin questioned, with a voice full of authority.

I couldn't respond, desperately trying to sit still at the heavy glare I was receiving from my pissed off Daddy, his thundering eyes beating the other three by far.

I looked away, this couldn't be happening, how did they even find out?!

Before anyone could respond, Jo stumbled out an apology on all of our behalf.

"We're really sorry dad, it-it was only a one time thing, we-!"

"Interesting..." He interjected, and reached into his suit pocket and pulled out Jo's dab pen. "Considering that this is half empty, it sure doesn't seem like it was only a one time thing." He thundered, glaring at Jo before turning his eyes to all of us.

Damn it.

"Who's is it?" Joel sternly inquired, eyes never leaving mine.

I swallowed and avoided his eye as best I could.

No way I was ratting Jo out, I couldn't.

"Kai."

I refused to look at him, now squirming in my seat.

"No, please-" Jo cried. "I-It's mine okay? Leave them out of it, they-they had nothing-!"

"You all played a small part in this, young lady." Gina cut her off with clear disappointment. "And it was wrong of you to drag them into this, Josephine."