Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

Chapter Eighteen

Ch.18: The First Date

Despite my burning curiosity and the lump of unease in my chest, I didn't bring it up when Jude returned forty minutes later. If I wanted him to forget about Neil's bullshit for now, I had to forget about Darrell. We could tackle it later.

"Ready to get out of the city?" Jude dumped two large paper bags on the counter.

"Where are we going?"

He shrugged. "The countryside. Somewhere green."

"There are parks in London," I pointed out.

Jude gave me a wry look. "How long do you think it'd be before someone recognised me?"

That was a downside of fame - Jude couldn't always do the things that normal people took for granted.

"Did you do this shopping by yourself?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Didn't you get recognised?"

"Don was with me, and he'll act as security if I need him."

"Why didn't you send Annie?"

Jude looked down at the bags. "I wanted to do something nice for you, and for it to come from me, not my PA."

My heart fluttered. "You risked the squealing fangirls for me?" I teased.

Jude grinned. "I was at least prepared to sacrifice Don to them. I can't do that on our date though, unless you want him coming along."

"He'll have to take us wherever we're going, won't he? Unless you're planning to drive."

A surprisingly pensive expression crossed Jude's face. "I could if I wanted to."

"I didn't even know you had a car," I admitted.

During Angels & Demons' first year, Jude had splashed his newfound millions on fast rides and women, but that flashiness seemed to have worn off - I hadn't seen a paparazzi shot of him with a new car in years.

Jude smirked. "I have several. I keep them in a garage at the back of the building."

"Okay, Mr Money-Bags. How come you never use them?"

I suddenly recalled what Elle had told me about the moment Jude finally realised Darrell needed serious help – when Darrell had driven his new Lamborghini at a hundred miles an hour through the front of a café.

If I didn't know any better, I'd have suspected that this was what Darrell had over Jude – that Jude had been in that car too, or even been the one driving. But there'd been countless witnesses to both the crash and to paramedics rescuing Darrell from the wreckage, and Jude had been miles away from the accident at the time.

Maybe just knowing that Darrell's recklessness and addiction could have killed himself and so many others was enough to put Jude off driving.

"I can afford a chauffeur, so why not have one?" Jude said.

His voice was easy, his expression open, so maybe I was reading too much into the whole thing.

I didn't know what it was like to be Jude. I could read about the soaring heights and dizzying lows that fame could bring, but I hadn't experienced them, and if I was as rich as Jude, maybe I'd indulge in things I didn't actually need.

"Fair enough," I said.

Jude stared at me for the longest moment, with a thoughtful crease between his eyebrows that I wanted to stroke with my fingertip.