6. Lili be damned

Începe de la început

"Let me get us something to drink," Scarlet muttered. "Would you mind holding Ben for a bit?"

She didn't even need to ask. The little man was almost as cute as Maggie, although my loyalties were clearly with my niece.

Still, Scar and Callum's son was adorable. He didn't have his mother's fiery hair, but he had certainly taken on her passionate personality, leaving Callum with a lot to handle at home, though it was clear he wouldn't have it any other way. Ben's eyes were that mesmerising baby blue colour that he inherited from both of his parents and, even so, one could not deny that when you looked at them, it was his father's gaze that you could see.

"You better listen to Aunty Nat, Bubba," his mother instructed him on her way to the kitchen.

"Yes, mummy." The little boy gave her a wide smile, while wasting no time to grab my hand and pull me towards his corner with planes, cars, trains, and all sorts of other toys. To my surprise, Ben picked up a piece of paper and a few crayons, laying them on the wooden floor before he confidently informed me of our activity. "I'm going to draw you a dinosaur."

"A dinosaur?" I tried to sound as impressed as possible to encourage him.

"Yes, a T-Rex. He growls and scares everyone. Well, everyone but daddy. His bear is the strongest animal ever." His eyes twinkled with pride while he spoke about his dad, reminding me how much I looked up to my own father when I was younger. But unlike mine, Callum adored his son and his wife, and showered both of them with all the love and adoration that they deserved.

I gave him a wide grin as he got to work. "I can't wait to see this dinosaur then."

"So, is this a wine or coffee kind of conversation?" His mum asked from the kitchen.

I wasn't a big drinker and alcohol didn't really work on shifters, but I needed something stronger than both of those options. After all, one drink was the pride and joy of Scotland, and it wasn't Irn Bru.

"The whisky kind."

"My kind of girl." She smirked when‌ she appeared back in the living room with two tumblers in hand and opened Callum's extensive whisky cabinet. I had to laugh as I looked on because the size and diversity of their respective whisky cabinets was often the topic of heated discussions and competition between my brother, Aiden, and Callum. "Let me raid Callum's good stuff."

A shiver went down my spine when I finally took a sip of my drink once Scarlett filled our glasses. As much as I wanted to be tough, whisky was tougher than me, leaving a burning trail along my tongue and my throat, making my eyes water.

"We've all been there, don't worry." Scar laughed while I looked at her, puzzled. "That moment when you need a stiff drink to make everything go away, but you are not quite ready for it."

"I guess alcohol is never the answer."

"No. But it comes pretty damn close sometimes. Though some pretty stupid decisions are also born out of that most of the time, but at least shifters are immune to that. So, spill the beans- what's going on?"

She listened carefully as I told her everything that happened-except for who my mate was, but Scar was understanding enough to not press for that either.

"Wow! Are you sure you don't need more whisky?" she asked when I finished, but I shook my head instead. "You are really having one hell of a day, my dear."

A resigned sigh escaped my throat. "I know I longed for more excitement when I was back in Izaver, yet this is not what I had in mind."

As enlightening about my abilities as my time with the scholars and academics there had been, I wished for more. I wanted to travel the world, to live my life. To go on adventures with my mate by my side.