Nabi

Nabi, butterfly.

A word Soobin loves to call and describe his boyfriend, Yeonjun, as.

A butterfly that was so delicate, a single wrong touch could shatter it.

A butterfly that was flawless and fluttered elegantly in the sky, dancing within the light shining against it.

A butterfly that caused an effect on anyone who saw or touched it.

Butterflies have perpetual movement, unrhythmic, meaning constant change.

He'd like to describe Yeonjun as a white, black, blue, pink, red, or yellow butterfly, depending on the colour of his new hair that he always changes.

"Nabi..." Soobin murmured in content against Yeonjun's soft milky skin of his neck.

Yeonjun could still remember the first time Soobin had called him nabi, taking him by surprise.

Obviously, he thought the male was talking about an actual nabi somewhere around them, but it confused him deeply when Soobin was looking directly at him.

Yeonjun had always thought Soobin's favourite animal was a fox but Soobin laughed and told him that it has always been a nabi.

Yeonjun liked bunnies, because his boyfriend was one and it didn't take him long to realise that he was the nabi that Soobin adored so tenderly.

"Yes, Soobinnie?" Yeonjun gently ran his fingers through Soobin's damp hair. Soobin, earlier, had refused to dry it, wanting Yeonjun to use a towel, which he did.

Soobin looked up at Yeonjun from his nape and gave a whipped smile. He focused on every single strand on his boyfriend's head.

Yeonjun recently changed his hair back to black with multiple colours peeking from beneath. Soobin was in awe at the new look, always taking the chance to memorise where every colour laid beneath, waiting for someone to dig them out behind the darkness.

He rested a hand on Yeonjun's warm cheek, his thumb crossing the high cheekbone.

Yeonjun had a small amount of petulance creep into his voice, "What is it Binnie~?"

The said male let out a small chuckle, more of a 'ha,' before muttering something like 'impatient as always' under his breath.

Yeonjun pouted, crossing his arms and leaving Soobin's hair untouched.

Soobin frowned at that.

He grabbed Yeonjun's wrist and placed his hand on his head, encouraging the older to start running his fingers through his hair again.

Yeonjun sighed, his pout still there, but he did what his boyfriend asked for. He could never say no anyway. Neither of them could.

"Nabi...remember the first time we met?"

Yeonjun's ears tinged with red, earning an honest laugh out of Soobin. Yeonjun blushed and looked away, inhaling deeply through his nose.

"It was a beautiful spring day...and there you were. Standing on top of the small hill, glaring at your little cousin underneath the rising Sun." Soobin smiled at the memory, "I still remember the way you turned in a panic when you thought I was your uncle but sighed in relief when you just saw me. Though, you did turn red in embarrassment which was awfully cute."

Yeonjun whined in Soobin's shoulder, muttering something under his breath that it was because he thought that Soobin was a handsome stranger who would've thought he was weird.

"I would never...you were too much of a cutie—and still are. You know...I still feel guilty about taking you away from your old life."

"Soobin, stop." Yeonjun sat up, attempting to glare at the tall male, but failed miserably. "It was fate. My life as a human wasn't meant to be. You gave me the choice to live my current life, so don't feel guilty. I love it and I love you. You should know that by now. It's already been years." Yeonjun rested his lips in its famous pout and Soobin kissed it away. He rubbed Yeonjun's chin subtly before rubbing his small hand.

"I'm sorry, Nabi. I know. I do know. But sometimes I wish you could've lived your life as a mortal a bit longer. Even just a minute more."

Yeonjun looked at Soobin with those dearest eyes full of the universe. "Me too...but this is enough for me. More than enough. I see the wonders and I see you." He entwined their hands together, giggling at how his looked like a baby's in Soobin's hold. He leaned up and brushed his lips against Soobin's before gently pressing them together. It lasted for a second before he pulled away with a wide smile, "I'm your nabi and you've let me fly."

Published: 10/12/2022

A/n: A sneak peak of a coming book?