I think I joined a cult

Start from the beginning

"I'd like to see him try in this mess." Mr. Dreamy remarked. He took something from his side and pointed it at the tan skin's rear. A jewel identical to Crowley's glowed.

Kayra didn't wait to see the end result, she looked around frantically. He was right, there was no room to move.

"I'm sorry, were my instructions unclear?!" Crowley was fuming.

She kept looking, she couldn't see it.

"Preeetty sure you can handle catching one mangy weasel all on your lonesome there, headmage." Mr. Lazy countered, and he had a point. Crowley was capable of handling Grim on his own.

Then she saw it. Kayra dashed for the whip. She needed a weapon of her own.

Grim, now in hearing distance retorted. "How many times do I gotta say it? I'm Grim, spellcaster extraordinaire! I am NOT a weasel!"

It saw Kayra back turned and bent over and thought she was perfect to prove it's point. It got ready to blow at her.

"Hey! newbie-" Tablet-person called out.

She looked over her shoulder and saw blue flames. Reflexively, she flung the whip in her right hand in an arc. It cut through the flames and hit Grim, who rolled backwards. It got on all fours and glared at the group of people.

"Aren't you a spunky little fellow?" Azul commented. "Riddle, would you be so kind...?"

"Furry miscreant. I will abide no rule-breaking. You will be judged by my hand." Riddle declared.

Grim scampered away, Azul and Riddle in hot pursuit.

And so they started running around in literal circles, as was the room was circular. Most of the students were out in the corridor. The rest continued to hug the walls. Grim created more fires to replace the ones that were put out.

Where's the rest of the staff?! Kayra wondered.

As unfortunately, Riddle and Azul weren't a good team.

Grim laughed. "You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!"

"Tch." Riddle frowned. "Not exactly a seamless team effort. Azul, you need to time your magic to match mine."

"Here's a better idea: why don't you match yours with mine instead?"

Grim crackled in glee. "See?! I'm a WAY better mage than both of these guys combined!"

Kayra's grip on the whip tightened. Crowley was trying to extinguish the fires and the other two were doing a horrible job of catching Grim. She didn't like it, but she might have deal with Grim herself. Taking two steps forward, she waited for the right moment. Little did she know, Mr. Dreamy and Mr. Lazy were watching her.

"So you noticed too." Mr. Dreamy said. It was a statement, not a question.

"Noticed what?" Mr. Lazy asked, knowing exactly what he was talking about.

"That she is a girl."

"Oh, that... Was it so obvious?" He could tell because the scent was vaguely different compared to the others. A difference caused through varying hygienic routines. If he hadn't taken a good sniff before everything was ablaze, he might have missed it.

"Her body language alone is a dead give away. She's not experienced in acting. I believe she even changed her name when speaking to the dark mirror."

There was a moment of silence.

"So, you gonna tell Crowley?" Mr. Lazy didn't really care. He just hoped that she took the beast with her when she left. They were both a nuisance.

Mr. Dreamy hesitated. "...not yet. I want to see what happens."

They continued to watch.

When Grim was close enough, Kayra cracked the whip and hit Grim as hard as she could. Which was enough to get it's attention. Enraged, it bound towards her. She, in turn, jogged backwards, leading it to a distracted Crowley. From whom she grabbed the walking-stick and swung it with all her might, sending Grim flying between Riddle and Azul. The boys stopped in their tracks as the creature buzzed past them. It slid backwards on impact.

"I suggest you surrender. Otherwise..." Riddle panted.

Both he and Azul were drenched in sweat. They didn't seem like the athletic type- unlike Mr. Dreamy and Mr. Lazy who had avoided doing anything. Kayra tried giving them the stink eye, but they were far from bothered.

"NO! I'm gettin' into this school, and that's FINAL!"

"Stand aside, Azul!"

"MYAAAH!"

"OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!"

Is he really gonna-

Suddenly the largest, fanciest, most uncomfortable looking collar appeared on Grim. Exhausted, Kayra leaned against Crowley, who took the walking stick from her and examined it for damages.

"MYAH?! What are you doing?!"

"The Queen of Heart's Rule 23: 'One must never bring a cat to a formal affair'. Your very presence here is a violation of order. You will vacate these premises immediately."

"But I ain't a cat either! Don't you try'n collar me! I'll burn it right off! Huh...? Wh-what gives? My fire ain't working!"

"Until I deign to remove that collar, you won't be using any magic. You're naught but a pet cat now."

"M-meoWHAT?! I ain't nobody's pet-NOTHING!"

"Oh, you've nothing to worry about there. I certainly have no interest in having you as a pet. The collar will disappear once you're removed from campus."

"Ha-HA! Good show as always, Riddle. You're signature spell locks down any magic. It's quite handy. I've just GOT to have i- ah, I mean, I've just got to have respect for it."

Think you were smooth, mate?

Kayra decided to keep an eye out for Azul.

"Kaye! Was I not clear that you are expected to take responsibility for your familiar? Now discipline your-"

"I've told you repeatedly that it isn't mine!" She snapped.

"It isn't?"

"I've never seen that creature before in my life!"

"Oh... Is that so?"

Are you deaf at that age, old bird?!

He cleared his throat. "Then I shall have it expelled from campus. I shall even spare it from being served as dinner. My, but I AM kind. ...Someone take this away, please."

Who... would even- right, the half animal dude...

She needed to keep an eye on that one too.

"No~! Let me go~! You fools better remember my name! 'Cause I'm gonna go down in the annals of magic history! Just you wait!"

Oh, I'll remember you. For the cheesy, almost cringe villain exit you just gave.

÷

Wow, wasn't that long?! I even tried to cut back on some stuff. I can only imagine how the beginning of books 6 & 7 will be.