Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

I took a breath, raised my hand to the door, and prepared to make my move. Before my fist fell, the latch clicked, and I soon met with a very surprised Charlotte. She gasped when she saw me but recovered quickly, shooting me a small smile.

I took a step back, letting her pass. When she was gone, Colin stepped beside me. His face was stony as he simply said, "You're welcome."

My brows furrowed as I watched him walk down the steps to join J and Charlotte. I had no idea what he meant by that, but I hoped it was a good omen.

Tessa's door creaked, bringing my attention back to where I'd last seen her. I was shocked to see her standing in front of me. All the bravado I'd worked up just minutes ago deflated. I was suddenly just as scared as I was the night she left.

What if she's made her mind up?

Will my words even matter?

I swallowed hard, trying to find the right thing to say, hoping I could get something out before she decided to shut the door in my face again. As I opened my mouth to say something, she silenced me by stepping back and opening the door wider- an invitation to come inside.

She looked at the floor as I stepped inside, taking careful strides as if one wrong move would ruin everything. The door closed behind us, and Tessa beckoned me toward her living room.

I stood silently behind her couch, too on edge to sit as I wracked my brain for the right words to say. Tessa stood opposite me, using the sofa as a buffer between us. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she gnawed her lip anxiously.

Before I could say anything, she quietly spoke. "Colin told me that you came after me that night."

She didn't have to clarify; I knew exactly which night she was talking about. When I noticed she wasn't at the bar with the rest of us, I took off. I hurried back to the house to find her. I didn't have a plan. I just acted. At the time, I felt guilty about what I'd done and angry at her for what I thought she'd done.

By the time I arrived, Tessa was already gone. Colin told me she packed up and left shortly before I came in. I tried calling and texting her, but she blocked my number after telling me to leave her alone.

Looking back, I know I should have hopped in the car and followed her. I should have made her speak to me, but I was hurt. My broken heart told me she was going back to be with him. It cried out that she'd made her choice, and it wasn't me.

So, I imploded, turning into the selfish prick I've been for the last year. I wallowed in my misery, pushed my friends away when they tried to reach me, and let hate overtake me.

"Is it true? Did you come after me, Levi?"

"I did," I replied softly.

The room was silent for a moment before she spoke again. "You tried to reach out. Tried to speak to me that night."

I nodded. "I did."

Tessa sighed. When I looked at her, her eyes were downcast and sad. "I blew you off."

My throat was tight. I knew she was starting to blame herself, thinking if she'd only talked to me that night, we could have sorted everything out that night. I wouldn't let her do that. She didn't deserve to hurt over it any longer, and I wasn't going to let her blame herself for my mistakes.

"You had good reason to."

Her eyes met mine. They were filled with unshed tears, and her lip was trembling. I slowly walked around the couch, needing to be closer to her, to comfort her.

"If I'd only-"

"Tessa, stop." I grabbed her shoulders gently. "It's not your fault. It's mine. Everything that happened that night is on me."

"But-"

"No. If I hadn't jumped to conclusions and taken off to the bar, you would have found me and told me everything. We could be laughing about it now, but I fucked up. I did that, Tess. Me. It's not your fault, any of it."

She sniffed, shaking her head. "If I'd only-"

"Tessa. It's on me. I should have run into that kitchen and kicked Benji's ass or made my presence known. Something- anything other than what I did. I should never have believed what I thought I saw. I should never have let myself think that you were using me as a rebound for that punk."

I took a deep breath. "It's on me, Tess. Please hear that. And I am so, so sorry for everything I've put you through because of it. Words can't express how sorry I am, but I want to fix this."

A tear escaped Tessa's eyes as she listened. I wiped it away, letting my hand linger on her cheek as I stepped closer. "I love you, Tessa. I never stopped loving you. Even when I hated you, I loved you. I will do whatever it takes to make you see that, to show you how much I care, how sorry I am. If it takes me a lifetime, I'll use every day to prove to you that I love you more than anything on this planet."

My thumb stroked her cheek as I whispered, "Please, just give me another chance."  

A/N:

A longer chapter for you all to start the weekend off right. How are we doing? Will Tessa give him another chance? 

If you're enjoying the story so far, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments or see those votes pop up in my notifications. Each interaction helps propel the story forward in the Wattpad algorithm so more readers can find and enjoy it. 

I'd like to give a special thanks to everyone who has voted, commented, and followed this story as well as my others! You all are amazing! And to my new followers, welcome to the page! I'll post important announcements here on my page, but more frequent announcements (and teasers) will be posted on my instagram. If you're interested, you can find the link on my profile. 

Much love!

❤️