Unexpected Guests

The two tore apart faster than lightning, as if they had done something wrong.

Amicia's heart was galloping in her chest, and she was having trouble breathing. What was that?? Did I almost kiss my closest friend in this world??

Lucas looked at her with some shock in his eyes. From what she did not know. "Who do you think that is?"

"Amicia!! Lucas!! Are you in there??"

"It's Sophia!" Amicia breathed, relieved.

She ran to open the door. "Sophia! What are you doing here??" She hugged her tightly.

Sophia pulled back quickly. "No time for that unfortunately! Bad news! The Order is still alive, and they know you're here!!"

The blood drained from Lucas' face and she was sure from hers too. "The Order... is back?"

"And they know you're here." Sophia reiterated looking between the two with great urgency.

Amicia felt herself feeling faint.

Lucas grabbed her arm. "Are you okay??"

She glanced at him and managed to nod. "We need to go. NOW."

He agreed. "Let's grab what we need. Time is of the essence."

Sophia looked at the wine and the spilled cup and gave Lucas a look Amicia couldn't figure out. Sophia turned to her. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Perhaps you can gather the food provisions we have in the kitchen?"

Sophia nodded and ran off. Lucas was still holding her arm but quickly let go when she looked pointedly at it. "I'll go grab my things."

She ran to her room and grabbed her clothes. Reluctantly, she picked up her sling. It had gotten her through life and death... but it had also killed many, including her little brother. Or rather that's what she had done. She had only done what she needed to do, but it still lay heavy on her heart. Pulling out a drawer, she drew out her crossbow as well. "Guess I might need to use you too, eh?"

"Amicia, hurry!!" She heard Lucas from outside the door.

She took a deep breath and opened the door. He smiled reassuringly and took her hand pulling her towards the door.

Sophia came in with the provisions as they prepared to leave. She gave Amicia a look as she saw them hand in hand.

"Let's go. I have horses not far from here."

They nodded and exited the front door. Amicia looked once more behind, trying not to cry at the thought of leaving, Hugo.... again.

She felt Lucas' hand squeeze hers as if he knew what she was thinking.  "We'll be back, Amicia. I promise."

Amicia didn't dare look at him. The thought of the almost kiss came back to mind and she pushed it as far away from mind as possible. Not now... I can't... Focus, Amicia.

"Let's hurry! We don't have much time! They may already be here!" Sophia whispered urgently.

They ran at a slight jog, but Sophia stopped them suddenly with some firelight in the distance. Soldiers voices could be heard not far from them.

"Damn it!" Amicia groaned.

"So much for the horses..." Sophia sighed.

They crouched down, hidden in the trees.

"There's some horses here. Must mean they're not far off." a soldier was saying.

"Are we really going after a woman? What's so dangerous about her? Why does the Order want her?"