𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕧𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℍ𝕚𝕥𝕔𝕙𝕙𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕣

Balete Drive's White Lady isn't the only spirit out thumbing for a lift. And no, I'm not talking about the ghost hitchhikers you see in the mirror on the Haunted Mansion ride either.

Imagine you're out driving on an empty country road one night and see a teenager off to the side.

For some reason, you ignore your (rational) fear of picking up strangers and stop to give her a ride home.

Her clothes are a little out of style, maybe, but otherwise she looks normal. She gets in the passenger seat and thanks you.

Her name is, say, Lucy, and the address she gives you isn't too far out of your way, so you get going again. She doesn't say much but does mention that it'll be nice to get home.

But as you're pulling up, you check your mirror then look back at the passenger seat to find that Lucy is gone.

After you sit there for a few minutes trying to come up with a logical explanation, you go knock on the front door of the house.

A bespectacled bald man answers. In a jumble of half-intelligible sentences, you ask if Lucy lives there.

The man takes a long, slow breath and says, "Not anymore." His daughter Lucy died in a car accident years ago. He gestures to a picture on the wall behind him.

A picture of the girl who was in your car.

USA

There are sooo many vanishing hitchhiker stories around the States, but one of the most famous is Chicago's Resurrection Mary.

This iconic hitchhiker has been around since the 1930s. Dressed to the nines, she flags down drivers near the Willowbrook Ballroom and rides with them as far as Resurrection Cemetery. There she asks you to let her out and then proceeds to disappear.

They say she was leaving a dance when she was the victim of a hit-and-run. Now she goes back and forth between her final resting place and the ballroom where she danced her last night away.

South Africa

Uniondale, South Africa is so small that it probably wouldn't be on the map at all if it weren't for its hitchhiking ghost.

Her name is Marie Charlotte Roux, and she died in the late '60s in a car crash on a drive with her fiance. Ever since, she's been asking for rides and spookily disappearing before reaching her destination.

In one story, the driver of the car went to the police, who followed him to the place where Marie vanished. When they got there, the driver and the policeman both saw the car door open and close on its own. Wind, maybe?