3. Welcome to the villain's world

Start from the beginning

"My, were you ever eager to make your debut. And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you? That is a clear violation of the school's rules."

"As if I'd serve some lowly human! Now lemme go!" Grim injected, before she could question anything.

"Yes, yes. Rebellious familiars always say that. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?" In two swift movements, Grim was tied up. Everything between his eyes and feet were coiled.

"Mmmrph!"

"Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gate and step out of it. Does the very notion of patience elude you? No matter. Your orientation has already begun. Let us return to the Mirror Chamber."

Kayra's head was swimming with thoughts.

School? Familiar? As for patience, no one would be required to be patient in this kind of situation! And temerity?! Who even talks like that?!

But all that came out was; "Student...? Gate...?"

"You awakened in a room full of gates, did you not? All of the students here at campus arrived by passing through such gates. Although typically the students have restraint enough to wait until I open them before waking up."

You expect me to control how I wake up after passing out...?

Kayra quickly put two and two together. "I think something blew the lid off mine..."

She stink-eyed Grim.

"Of course it did..." The stranger followed suit.

Grim gave them a look of; 'how is this my fault?'

"You're the one who insisted on brining it, so curtailing it's behavior is your responsibility!" The stranger continued without giving Kayra time to respond. "But now is not the time for such prattle. You've a student orientation to attend! Go on, now. Make haste."

He put his cane hand behind her back. Kayra debated which of her two questions was the best to ask. Then realized that is was safer to ask for his identity than to risk any suspicion on her part, as he seems to have mistaken her for someone else.

"First, just tell me one thing: who are you?"

"Hm? Have you not fully regained consciousness? The timespace teleportation magic must have addled your memories..."

Timespace teleportation magic?! Are your memories addled?!

"Well, these things happen, I suppose. I shall explain it to you while we walk. Truly, my magnanimity is boundless."

He started towards the door, Grim dragging behind him. Kayra kept to his heels. As she passed through, the gemstone on his walking stick glowed, and the doors closed behind them. He began crossing the courtyard. Kayra, spotting the apple trees, wondered how long ago had been lunch. But the stranger was on a role.

He cleared his throat. "This is Night Raven Collage."

Who the fudge named this place?

According to the man who introduced himself as Dire Crowley, Night Raven College is an all-boys magic school in a place called Twisted Wonderland. He also mentioned that the selection was done by a Dark Mirror. The students are then brought to the school by a black carriage that contained a 'gate'. The gates presumably had, as Crowley said, timespace magic that teleports the students to the school.

Now it's a matter of finding out if Twisted Wonderland is somewhere on earth... But I didn't see a carriage. Hopefully there's no significance in it...