3. meet: xavier thorpe

Start from the beginning

So, now, with this objectively cute guy offering Iris fencing lessons, Iris is conflicted. Is he flirting? Does he genuinely just want to teach her how to fence? Is she reading too much into this? Has 3 years of relationship (and lack-there-of) trauma and her whole life of never knowing whether someone actually wants to talk to her or just wants to make fun of her led her to be such an extreme over-thinker?

"C'mon, I know a spot," he starts walking backwards, waiting for Iris to trail behind as Iris realizes she's spent too long in her head and he's made the decision for her.

"Okay," she gives, not really knowing what else she would do with her time. He's surely not a serial killer or anything.

They walk through the halls, the Bianca x Wednesday face-off left far behind as Xavier starts giving Iris a more personalized tour than the one Enid attempted when the girls first got here.

". . . and after he ran into that painting of Edgar Allen Poe, he had to spend 3 weeks donating blood for the vampire drive as punishment," Xavier is just finishing recounting another fascinating tale of Ajax, his best friend, as he turns to open a door, leading Iris to some kind of storage room.

It's about half the size of the original fencing room, so still big, and has similarly, large-sized windows for light to filter in. The only dreary vibe comes from the cardboard boxes stacked along the walls and vacant cobwebs at every corner - although, Iris is starting to think those are there on purpose as some sort of decor.

"Used to be the old fencing room," Xavier explains as Iris continues looking around. "Before they upgraded because the fencing team was getting so good. . . you probably know that though."

"What do you mean?" Iris is looking out the windows now over the vast front field of Nevermore. It's pretty when it's not too gothic.

"You look just like your mom," he says in explanation. "She was captain of the team when she went here, right? Her picture is plastered everywhere."

Iris isn't really sure why Xavier feels the need to speak 3 sentences at a time when fewer words often do the trick, but she knows better than to say that aloud right now.

"I'm sure she's talked about it," Iris also isn't really sure why his tone starts to sound accusatory whenever he asks a question, but maybe that's just his personality - however it may irk her. "I don't really care though."

Xavier lets out a soft laugh, and Iris didn't really know she was making a joke, but she's glad he's smiling at her.

"I totally get that," he watches as Iris takes in her surroundings. "My dad only sent me here because he literally wants to marry this school."

"Are all parents like that?" Iris gets excited as she realizes he's had the same experience as her. "Like, we get it, you peaked in high school."

"No, literally," Xavier also relaxes more. "He wants me to 'find myself,'" complete with air quotes. "I didn't realize I was lost," he all but scoffs.

"Tell me about it," Iris is done with her investigation around the room and moves to one side of the mat.

Xavier puts the fencing mask thing he was carrying under his arm throughout the walk on and follows her lead at the other end "Ready?"

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"So, if I'm right-handed, can I play someone who's left handed?" Iris thinks out loud as her Xavier take a break from practicing to just sit on the floor and face each other.

"Yeah, why not?" Xavier takes her questions easily.

That's something Iris is starting to like about him. He may be broody and weird on the exterior, but one you start talking with him, it's easy to carry the conversation.

"I just feel like they'd get in the way," she also finds herself talking more than usual around him. But she's not really liking it. Like he's turning her into a new person, and as much as she wanted to branch out of her comfort zone here, Iris is the last person to change her personality over some guy.

"Wanna try?" He stands up, not waiting for her response.

"I don't think I can handle losing against your less dominant hand," but Iris stands too anyway.

"All the more likely you'll win," he speaks statistically.

"All the more humility when I lose," she banters, but gets in position anyway, ready to surrender before he can knock her off her feet for the millionth time.

a/n:
besties