The Search For Home

AN: Before I just jump into this, I'd like to say, hi! To some of you, welcome back. To anyone new, hello! I'm glad you made it here first. Now, please allow me to introduce you all to Roads And Maps, part 2. Hope you all enjoy. 

Aru's POV

Kara and I have been traveling the different roads of the United States, for what, 7 months now? Where are we now? I have no clue. We're just trying to find our way back to Atlanta, but due to our wonderful luck, we haven't found Atlanta. It's like the lost city of Atlantis or something.

Long story short, the portal Kara made to get us home got messed up when the Sleeper kept trying to track us. We have ended up everywhere but home. A little infuriating. Next time I see the Sleeper, boy, he going to get a piece of my mind.

Kara was so excited to be able to see Atlanta for the first time. She had never been out of the Sleeper's palace. She kind of reminds me of Rapunzel. She is fascinated by everything. This child needs to get out more.

We continued walking for about 30 minutes until suddenly, we found a little McDonald's.

I closed my eyes, then opened them to make sure I wasn't imagining. Kara stopped walking and simply stared at the building ahead of us.

"Let's go in there, Kara," I said, nudging her with my elbow. "The workers inside should be able to tell us where we are."

I started to jog towards the fast-food restaurant. Jogging is better than running. However, walking is better than anything, but I'm desperate. I soon made it to the door to find Kara standing where she stopped.

"Kara. What in the world are you doing? We have a chance to get to Atlanta! We can go home!" I exclaimed.

"Mc-Do-Nah-luds," Kara stuttered.

Oh, dear...

"Mc-daa-nuhldz," I said as I walked back to Kara. I put my hands on her back and started to push her toward McDonald's.

She dug her heels into the ground. Where is Brynne when you need her?

"You are so lucky Brynne isn't here right now," I sighed, finally giving up. "She would throw you over her shoulder with no warning and carry you to that door. She'd probably drop you on the ground afterward, too."

"Who is Brynne? She doesn't seem nice," Kara said with a frown as she began to take her own steps toward the building.

"I've talked to you about Brynne before."

Kara turned to me and shook her head. Her nose was scrunched up, and her eyebrows were furrowed in confusion.

"I'm sure I have. Y'know, big, strong kid?" I asked.

Kara continued to walk and just shook her head again.

"Brynne's one of my sisters. She's a little aggressive sometimes, but she isn't too bad when you get to know her. She makes great lasagna, and she is funny too. Anywho, she's pretty nice. Just don't get on her bad side, or she'll cook you into a stew."

She glanced at me with a scared look as she gripped the door handle and walked in.

"Now she sounds worse. Who would cook someone in a stew?"

"It was- I was joking, Kara. It was a joke." I miss the people who understood my jokes and sarcasm.

I walked up to the counter, and there was an old lady.

"Hi, ma'am. Would you mind telling us what state and city we are in? My family and I are lost," I smiled politely.

She looked behind me, and Kara waved at her awkwardly.