Freedom is an Illusion

Roaming the wild frontier of Alaska, a herd of wild horses, descended from the era of miners who either let them go or escaped, trudged through the soft ground where the melting snow softened the dirt. With their hooves sinking in with each step, the matriarch of the herd led them towards lower and rockier grounds where the wet mud won't soften their hooves.

Walking for a few hours they stop near the edge of the trees where a small valley dips down beyond a line of rocks, stones, and fallen tree trunks. Their instinct to forage was strong, but their instinct for survival was stronger.

Their matriarch, a large black mare, standing over seven feet tall from shoulder to hoof, dwarf the other horses with frightening difference. Moving to the front, she looks around and smells the wind of any odd scents, new or old. Shaking her neck to rid herself of the pesky flies, she twitches her tail back and forth in indecision. The valley was tempting but too open. She was dedicated to protecting her herd, her charges.

But with the lack of scent and the tempting grasses calling, she takes a tentative step forward until she was halfway through the river of rocks. Standing still she listened for any signs of predators.

.......

Still no reaction. Letting out a small whinny, that came out deep and guttural, the rest of the herd followed suit and they crossed the rocks and into a small patch of haven for the next few days.

Their time in the valley was coming to a close but a mare in the herd went into labor a few hours previously. So the massive matriarch stood guard as the mare toiled and pushed until an hour later a small foal was born. Knobby kneed and with a large head on a tiny body, the foal looked alien like but soon it will dry and look more natural. Shaking her head she began sniffing the foal, wary of the mother who was instinctively protective regardless of who it was. Shaky and unbalanced the foal fell against the legs of the matriarch but was nudged up by her massive head. It later gained stability before searching for its mother's teat and greedily sucking down the rich and fatty milk.

Snorting at the foal she walked away from the mother and foal to continue her patrol for predators.

Walking a ways past the herd she heard a loud and startling sound that grated her ears and jostled her nerves. She saw a massive bird unlike any she has seen before and it was charging towards her and the herd. Under the bird a group of horses were riding towards her as well, how they tolerated the bird was beyond her but she had no business with it. Quickly making her way to the herd she screamed out a warning and they made their way towards the rocks and to the safety of the dense trees. The only one behind was the mare with her new born foal. Urging the rest to the tree lines, she stayed behind the mare keeping the rear until she heard neighing of horses behind her and grunts of excitement.

Two leggers were riding them and controlling them, with what she had no idea but they moved as they were told. Soon they encircled them, the matriarch, the mare, and the foal.

Shouts and screams were released from the two leggers.

"Dayum! This herd was the toughest to wrangle! We got a foal, and it looks newly born. The couple will like that." The man on a pinto steed said.

"Keep the circle tight! Tim get the rope and halter. Cody, you're gonna get the massive stallion!" The bay rider said.

"What about the mare? We gonna get her too or no?"

"No. The couple only wanted a foal if we could get one, since its still a new born it won't have issues being separat-Woah there!" The man on the bay horse kept his seat when the matriarch charged at the bay horse to intimidate it since she towered over the horse and man. Rearing in freight the bay horse backed up but the man kept his cool and controlled his horse and gently nudged it forward. "That's right girl, move a little forward for me, atta girl." Praising it the man stroked the horse's neck in reward.