- eric matthews || opposites attract

(a/n thank you for the love, i appreciate y'all sm <3)

i didn't exactly 'fit in' at my old school in new york. while most of the kids my age were in the latest fashion, and listened to the latest music, i was still 10 years behind everyone.

they were in the present, i was still in 1985.

there wasn't a depressing reason behind it. the reason was that i much preferred that era of my life, and wish i was older to experience it. so, that's why i wear my mums old clothes, and listen to my dads old tapes.

which, mind you, are DEFINITELY not what the kids at my school would be listening to with their friends.

i was dreading moving to john adams. i knew it would be the exact same. the pretty girls with the pretty hair wearing pink pretty dresses, waiting at there jock boyfriends locker who is tall and muscley, all while talking to their equally pretty best friends about this new girl band called the spice girls. eugh.

i had walked into my new classroom. eyes were automatically turned on me. great.

i even toned down my 'look'. my hair was barely teased, i was only wearing tight jeans and a leather jacket, and i barely had any dark eyeliner on.

i took a seat at the back corner, turning my attention to the window outside. i heard a commotion in the front of the room, but chose to ignore it.

soon enough i felt a tap on my shoulder. i looked at my teacher, who had quite obviously been calling me. she motioned at me to take my headphones off. i rolled my eyes and paused my tape.

"do you know how loud your music was playing young lady?"

"not loud enough, obviously" i replied, rubbing my eyes, and going to pull out my cassettes cover from out of my backpack.

"we don't listen to satanic music in school, miss l/n. first day and you're already starting trouble" she sighed as she rubbed her temples.

i stopped what i was doing, and looked straight at her. satanic music? are you fucking serious?

"satanic?"

"yes satanic! your music was that loud i could hear your disgusting music from all the way down the front of my classroom! i thought we left that devils buisness back in the 80s, but it seems we haven't. jesus, who is bringing up children these days" she muttered the last bit, but i still heard her. my blood was boiling.

"oh sorry miss, let me just change the dial on my walkman, i can see you're frustration"

"good, some sense has gotten into you finally" she said as she started walking back to her desk.

i unplugged my headphones and turned my walkman up to full blast. now, just because i dress from last decade and listen to stuff from last decade, definitely doesn't mean the technology i have is from last decade. i pressed play on my favourite album and watched as that overweight middle aged lady turned into the colour of a tomato.

shout! shout! shout! shout at the devil!

a string of giggles started filling the classroom, some starting to look at me once again. but this time, not in disgust, almost, in awe?

"MISS L/N, OUT OF THIS ROOM, NOW! YOU WILL BE GETTING A DETENTION. TO FEENYS OFFICE, NOW! AND CUT THAT SHOUT WITH THE DEVIL MUSIC OUT!''

i smirked as i grabbed my walkman and walked towards her, to leave the classroom. i paused the tape and walked up to her.

"it's shout at the devil, not with the devil" i kissed my middle finger and flipped her off as i left the classroom, a roar of cheers a laughter erupting from behind me as the teacher screamed at me.