THREE

A L Y S S A

"I've tried to fight our energy, but every time I think I'm free, yuh, you get high and call on the regular. I get weak and fall like a teenager, why, oh, why does God keep bringing me back to you?"

. . .

I need some fucking water.

When I sleepily open my eyes and check my phone, I see that's one in the morning.

My throat is dry, craving for water. With a groan, I stand up and walk towards the door to open it.

But before I go downstairs, I quickly change into my pajamas to be more comfortable and walk down the hallway.

It's dark in the house. While rubbing my eyes and letting out a yawn, I walk towards the kitchen and round the corner, only to be met with a pair of piercing dark brown eyes.

A silent gasp leaves my lips at the realization and without thinking about it, I back up against the wall behind me.

Roman is only dressed in a tight-fitting shirt and a pair of sweatpants. My eyes study him, and I can't help but admire his beauty.

He has a well-built body with broad shoulders that go down to his narrow hips.

His lips are plump and rosy, he has a strong nose and a sharp jawline. His eyes are a little bit sleepy, though awake enough to let me know he's been up for a while and...

He takes a step toward me.

My throat runs dry and I have no clue what to say. He takes another couple of strides toward where I'm standing until he's right in front of me.

All I can do is look up into his eyes, paralyzed.

He lifts his hand and grabs a loose curl of my brown hair. All the while he's holding eye contact with me. He gently tucks the strand away, and while doing so his fingers ever so softly graze my skin, setting it on fire.

Our eyes keep looking into each other, and I have no other choice but to drown in his beautiful eyes. They're so captivating that my breath hitches in my throat. My heart is beating so fast and loud that I'm pretty sure that he can hear it, too.

"Alyssa?"

I snap my head to the side at Matteo's voice coming from down the hall, but when I look back in front of me, Roman is already heading away and slips off into the dark hallway.

"Alyssa?" Matteo repeats.

"Y-yeah," I say softly, and try to regain my composure.

"I thought I heard the door open," he says, and then I see Matteo step into the kitchen. "What are you doing?" he asks as he eyes me.

I quickly shake my head and clear my throat. 

"Getting a glass of water, I'm thirsty," I respond.

Thirsty for what, exactly?