——————

"Anakin, your breaking my heart. Your going down a path I cant follow-". Padme woke up with a jolt, tears streaming down her face. She hadn't had that nightmare since the twins turned 2 months old. The painful memories was too much for her to handle.

Slowly Padme became aware of her surroundings, a very worried looking Apailana was at her bedside holding Padme's trembling hand. Forcing a smile on her face Padme looked at her Queen before putting on the bravest expression she could master.

"What happened?". Padme had to get straight to the point, she didn't know if Apailana was aware she had had an powerful nightmare, but she was in no position to talk about it. The thought of going into it all made Padme want to run home and hold Luke and Leia until they were fully grown adults, never letting them go.

Apailana gave Padme a worried expression but didn't ask any questions, she knew her friend well enough not to push. "You collapsed after the storm troopers informed us about Vader, you've been out for a couple of hours."

Padme involuntarily winced at the mention of Vader and was met yet again by a worried expression. "Padme...." Her Queen started  but Padme cut her off, she wouldn't talk about this now.

"How did the meeting go with the imperial leader?" She asked, unable to find it in herself to say Vader. Apailana sighed, giving Padme an eyebrow that she ignored.

"I'm going to be honest with you, when I met Lord Vader I expected him to be another ugly inquisitor or high imperial officer with stupid pants". Padme smiled a little at the comment but signaled for her friend to carry on. She had to know.

"Vader surprised me in more ways than one, I mean his appearance is one thing. I could have mistaken him for a Jedi. Well except for those bright yellow eyes. They were screaming evil. And the expression he wore, I wouldn't be surprised if that man has never smiled in his life. He looked like he would kill me at any moment".

Padme wasn't looking at her friend anymore. The comment on the Jedi had hit her hard but the description of Anakin's face had physically ripped her heart.

Apailana had stopped talking and Padme could feel she was about to say something. Quickly putting her hand up she signaled for her to continue and managed to force out a "What did he want to talk about in the meeting?".

Apailana's voice rang with concern but she kept talking. "I got side tracked... like I said, he surpised me. Lord Vader wanted to tell me that the Empire is offering Naboo their military support in return for Naboo to be in access for the Empire to use at any time for storm troopers and transportation of all kinds".

Padme gasped. She had heard about this and knew there was way more to it than the Empire was letting on. Quickly turning to face the Queen she rushed out her information as if it wasn't coming out fast enough.

"It's a trick. It's the Empires way of slowly corrupting and sucking the life and money out of Naboo, after they will occupy it and use it for their own gain leaving our people to suffer. The same happened in Ferrix".

The Queen nodded slowly during Padmes whole outburst before she gave her a weak smile.

"I know". She muttered taking a deep breath. "That's why I told Vader that the offer was kind but I could not accept it".

Padme nodded slowly now being sure that she had voted correctly for Naboo's Queen. She was surprised when Apailana kept talking.

"However Vader told me that I should really consider his offer. Otherwise the Empire might see Naboo as a planet that has gone rogue and will be forced to contain us". The last part came out bitterly.

Padme felt her jaw drop. They were screwed. The Queen kept talking. "There is some hope. Vader is giving me a week to the make a discsion. He says he has some things to do on Naboo".

Padme felt sick. Vader was going to be here for a whole week. She didn't think she could avoid him for that long without running into him.

"That's good. We have a week to come up with a plan". Padme said her brain already formulating the beginning of a plan.

The Queen sighed. "That may be hard. Vader has requested a room in the Palace, we will be watched like hawks".

Padme shifted uncomfortably. How long would it take until she ran into Vader?

"That's brave of him". She muttered feeling her insides twist with panic.

Apailana Was rubbing her temples at this point. "No it's not. He has requested one of my handmaidens to 'protect him'. But I suspect it's more as an insurance. He knows how valuable handmaidens are to their queens. Infact he knows a lot about Naboo and it's culture. Clearly he's been doing his homework".

Padme laughed nervously, however she was building up on guilt inside. Vader only knew so much because she had told him. He has listened to her ramble on about Naboo and it's traditions for weeks and now she was paying the price. If the Empire occupied Naboo, Padme would blame herself.

Taking her mind of it Padme smiled sympathetically at her Queen. "Which poor soul did you send to 'protect' lord Vader?"

Apailana grimaced at Padmes Question but didn't fail to answer. "I didn't send anyone. He wants to pick himself. Something about feeling everyone through the force. I call it him being paranoid."

Padme froze. She had a 1 in 6 chance of being picked. This couldn't happen. Grabbing Apailana shoulders she shook her friend furiously.

"You can't let me be an option. I won't survive. The Empire will discover me".

Apailana wouldn't look her in the eye. "I tired my best to hide you, to replace you. But the storm troopers already had a list of my handmaidens from one of my guards. If I try to hide or replace you, we will both be punished or will have to show identification. I'm so sorry".

Padme refused to breathe. She was going to see Anakin.... Vader. She had to remind herself. Anakin was gone.