1: A Not-So Normal Day

I woke up in my bed, as normal as any other morning, my alarm blared in my ear. I groaned as I struggled to get myself out of bed, mornings sucked! Out of frustration, I got out of bed and just unplugged my stupid alarm and let silence fill my bedroom. Finally.

I then heard a knock at my door. As I went to look, the door opened, it was my mom. She was wearing an apron that read, 'World's Best Mom.' Dad and I got it for her last Christmas.

"Hey sweetheart!" she greeted, "breakfast is ready if you're hungry, I made waffles and bacon!" mom smiled and I smiled back at her.

"Thanks mom, I'll eat in a little bit," I told her.

"Be quick or it'll get cold," she said as she left, closing my door.

I picked up my phone, I decided to quickly check my notifications. I had a bunch of texts from friends, both irl and online friends.

"happy birthday y/n!!!!!!!!"

"OMG HBD!! :D UR OLD NOW!!"

"Happy Birthday :3"

"HAAAPPPYYYY BIRTHDAYYYYY TO YEWW<3"

I gasped, "Holy cow! How did I not remember my own birthday was today?" I muttered to myself, "I've gotta wear something awesome..."

I put my phone down and immediately looked through my clothes, trying to find the perfect birthday outfit. I wanted something that would perfectly capture my aesthetic, my style, me.

When I finally decided my outfit I looked in the mirror, it was perfect! I contemplated taking photos for my friends, but ultimately decided that it could wait until later.

My tummy rumbled...

Breakfast time.

I made my way to the dining room, remembering mom had told me she had made waffles and bacon. When I got there, there were streamers and balloons everywhere! And the wall had 'Happy Birthday!" decorated onto it. My mom and dad were sitting, chatting with each other, and then they noticed I walked in.

"Happy birthday, sweetie!" my mom said, getting up and giving me a hug.

"Good morning, happy birthday, kid!" my dad greeted.

"Thank you, guys! I almost forgot my own birthday," I laughed.

After my birthday breakfast, of waffles that were surprisingly topped with fruit and ice cream, my dad handed me some birthday gifts.

I unwrapped the first one, it was a t-shirt, "oh wow, this is my favorite band!" I said excitedly, "thanks so much!"

The next gift I opened was a plushie of my favorite Pokémon! "I've always wanted a plushie of them!"

The last present I opened was a Sonic the Hedgehog game, one that I didn't have yet, Sonic Forces, "Woah! Sonic is my favorite! I can't wait to play it, oh my gosh!" I was thrilled!

"Well, kid, it IS the weekend, so you'll have plenty of time to play it," my dad chuckled, "we found it at the new second-hand store that opened up this month."

"The weird creepy one?" I asked, my dad nodded.

I honestly didn't care what sketchy creepy store they got it from, as long as it would still work.

Later in the day, I went to my room and turned on my console and put in my new copy of Sonic Forces. I pressed start on the main menu screen and noticed that there was already a save file. I shrugged, no big deal, it was from a second-hand store so the previous owner probably forgot to delete their save.

I pressed, 'New Game.'

The screen went all glitchy, dang, maybe it was broken after all.

Then, the screen went a bright red.

I heard a deep, sinister voice, but it didn't sound like it was coming from the game. Was it just in my head?

"You... You're a pathetic weakling..."