3- the creature in the woods

published: dec. 1, 2022
。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚

"Your first day and you're already on Sheriff Galpin's radar." I hear Principal Weems scold Wednesday in the front. "You too, Y/N." I catch her eye in the mirror. "Wish I could say I was surprised."

"What do you mean about that?" I question at the same time Wednesday says, "What did he mean about our father?"

Principal Weems ignores my question. "I have no idea girls, but a word of advice." She turns toward Wednesday as she says. "Stop making enemies and start making friends. You're going to need them."

A long silence fills the car as Principal Weems keeps driving. "Looks like an accident!" She exclaims suddenly. I lean to look out the windshield. A large truck is on the side of the road, smoke bellowing out of the hood. A police officer is already at the scene.

I suck in a breath. "That doesn't look good."

"I hope the driver's okay." Weems shakes her head.

"He's dead." Wednesday declares. "Broke his neck."

Weems gives Wednesday a curious side eye. * How do you know that? * I ask. My sister merely shrugs.

"How can you tell from this angle?" Weems asks. We pass the wreck and I lean over to my window, noticing that the driver did in fact break his neck. His head is laying flat on his shoulders a bump protruding from the center of his throat.

In front of me, I notice Wednesday grab her necklace and start twisting it around. What isn't she telling me?

--------

Wednesday sits at her desk for her writing time. I hear the clacking of her typewriter as I step through the window onto the balcony outside; my sketchbook in hand.

I sit down on the cold stone and lean by back against the colorful window pane. I try to think about something to draw. Anything. I have so many feelings about this place but none of them want to come out. I set down my book and walk to the edge of the balcony, staring down at the courtyard below. It's eerily quiet. I look up at the dark night time sky and sing the song my Mother would hum to me every night.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away. The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping. I dreamed I held you in my arms. When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken. So I hung my head and I cried. You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away.

I'll admit, I learned the words from an old nursery rhyme book I found. I believe my Mother's version to be much darker, but I actually enjoy the gentleness of these words.

I gaze up at the stars twinkling above me. They look as though they're taunting me with their freedom. A bump against my hand pulls my attention back to the balcony. The sewn fingers of Thing start moving rapidly. -Do you feel better?-

"No. There's just something off about this place. And not just because it's a school."

A creak from the window tells me I have a visitor. I glance to the side, my head still facing the balcony's edge. Its Enid.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" She asks.

"I'm not alone." I nod toward Thing who waves in response.

"Whoa," she smiles. "where's the rest of him?"

"It's one of the great Addams family mysteries." I walk over to pick up my sketchbook. Thing jumps down from the edge and crawls inside.