Chapter Five

The day was not an auspicious one, Grand Maester Pycelle writes. The skies were grey, and a persistent drizzle had fallen half the morning. Pycelle and the rest of the council awaited the King's coming in the inner yard of the Red Keep, cloaked and hooded against the rain. Elsewhere about the castle, Knights and squires and stable boys and washerwomen and scores of other functionaries went about their daily chores, pausing from time to time to glance at the sky.

When at last, the sound of heavy footsteps and the clanging of heavy armor was heard, and the guardsman on the eastern walls caught sight of the King's Party in the distance, there came a cheer that grew and grew and grew, rolling past the Red Keep's walls.

"Both of them had changed since I last saw them", Maester Pycelle records. "The hot-blooded, loud boy that had frequented the halls of the Red Keep had grown into a hot-blooded, loud young man, who won the Red Keep".

"And the Princess...", Maester Pycelle writes. "The stripling who had sailed to Dragonstone was gone, and in her place was a woman grown. She was the same height, same size. Her hair was still the same, flowing loose across her shoulders, and she still had the same Targaryen-colored clothes".

"The young Queen - a Princess no more - soon dispelled any rumors that had been whispered of her by her enemies. She was graceful, and she smiled like no other. Perhaps that is why King Robert married her, instead of slaughtering her as he should have. The smile... was as if the sun broke through the clouds. She walked like a Queen, talked like a Queen. There was no hint of the rule-breaking girl anywhere".

The first order of the King was to assign Ser Barristan Selmy as the Commander of the King's Guard. The loyal Champion of the new Queen. Ser Jaime remained in his post, and the remaining positions of the King's Guard were quickly filled by the King. Or most likely by the Queen. Ser Arys Oakheart, Ser Mandon Moore, Ser Preston Greenfield, and Ser Meryn Trant.

Quickly afterward, the King assigned the new Small Council Members. Lord Jon Arryn was assigned officially as the new Hand, and the ceremony and feast took place soon after. Lord Stannis became Master of Ships, Maester Pycelle kept his titles as Grand Maester, and Lord Symond Staunton continued his position as Master of Laws.

Once all the business was done with, the King summoned all of the Great House Lords to swear fealty to him. Amongst them, is Lord Tywin himself. The Old Lion arrived at King's Landing later than all, when most had already left the capital to return to their Keeps.

The King was seated on the Iron Throne, and the Queen right beside him, her hand on his shoulder, received the Old Lion in the throne room. The Lords of his council were present, and Ser Barristan and Ser Arys of the King's Guard stood at the base of the throne. Ser Jaime was wisely not invited. 

Elsewise, the throne room was empty. Lord Tywin's footsteps echoed as he made the long walk from the doors to the throne. Grand Maester Pycelle writes, "His lordship's pride was well-known to the King and Queen. His Grace had no wish to wound him by forcing him to humble himself before the entire court".

Humble himself, the Old Lion, did not, however. Lord Tywin never bends the knee. He only lowered his head as a sign of respect. And not once did he look at the Targaryen Queen. Not once did he address her, or even acknowledge her presence. A great disrespect and the King was beginning to grow restless because of it. But the Queen's hand on his shoulder tightened in reminder. 

"Your Grace, I am here as you commanded", the Old Lion said. "I am here to pledge my fealty to you, as my King, and Protector of the Realm".

"Thank you, Lord Tywin", Robert replied. "I believe your pledge is truthful. However, I remember what you did, what you said, and what you planned".